Boring under a road

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rotor-Man, May 4, 2005.

1. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Need to bore under a road [35-40 ft.] in a new subdivision to get water supply from one side to the other side for a system for the entrance to the subdivision.
    Would you bore in a 4" pvc sleeve and run the main line and timer wire thru it, or bore the wire and mainline under the road without a sleeve. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. I would run the sleeve, make things a lot easier later.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rotor-Man

Here in Fla soft sand it would be an easy job to do with city water pressure. But in your hard pan I would think you might need a borehog for the job. How are you doing this???

4. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

we would use an air mole. I have successfully moled a under a fifty foot wide road with a ditchwitch 3" mole.......... but absolutly use a sleeve

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

JB

You are talking greek to me. I never heard of an air mole. We are lucky enough to jet under just about everything. In Fact we have to jet quickly so as to not wash away too much material.

Thanks

6. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Do you need to get a permit to drill underneath it? The road is more than likely city/township/etc property--I don't know if the laws are different in your area.

Jason

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

An Airmole is a pnumeatic tool that is hooked to an aircompressor. You dig a start hole, point the mole, and on turn on the air.

They are handy unless they hit a rock (prevalent in the hard rocky soil in WA) and they can sometimes break through the asphalt.

Jetting would be impossible up here, I don't know about your soil. I can't jet more than 5-10 feet unless the sidewalk was bedded with non compacted sand.

An other option is to rent a directional boring machine (such as the ditchwitch 410sx with the rotowitch attachment) or perhaps look into the Borzit handheld directional bore.

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I can think of lots of ways to get from a to b, and I can think of ways that murphy would end up laughing at you with most of them. Call a directional boring outfit and have them pull a sleeve back through for you. This normally costs me around $10 a foot and the guys I use don't mind porposing in and out. I dig a start hole at "irrigation" depth and they shoot down over and back up. On the far end, I just let them shoot out of the ground and pull the sleeve back through, then I dig down and cut the sleeve at "irrigation" depth again. Minimum hassle for the boring crew, so they are "nice" to you and they can guarantee they won't deflect off of a rock and end up going through or raising your ashpalt on the road.

9. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I would find a direct boring for that bore. Here it would cost about 18 per foot.

10. Flatbed

Flatbed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I agree, get someone to bore a sleeve. Around here I can get a 4" bore for around $8 per foot and its worth every penny.