boring

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Boring doing it London Rain Style.....
    DitchWitch 2310 with RotoWitch doing a 2" bore.

Digging the exit hole with backhoe.
    [​IMG]
    getting setup for the bore...
    [​IMG]

boring away, notice my partner using the T-Handle and we bored under the expansion joint ....
    [​IMG]

Bore done, we had less than a 1/3" fall for every foot we bored, so the bore was about 6" below the starting level.

[​IMG]

Also notice the Red HardPan Clay I talk about, it is like concrete....

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Nice pics, nice job..noticed you had it located also...do you water-backfill?

3. We have a coverup that backfills and we have to mound it up about 4" and let nature take its course. If you try and hurry the process it always leaves trenches in the yard. I have tried watering down the trenches many years ago and had to go back and add more soil. I tell everyone don't touch the trenches for 2 weeks. Might be hard to believe but true with this Red clay we have.

4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice machine we are looking for something similar for sleeving com jobs

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We ran a 3500, the big brother to your 2310. Good machine except for its tendency to burn up the bearings on the trencher drive motor every 500 or so hours.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What do you follow up the two-inch bore with? In poly-land, there could be a PVC sleeve with poly pipe(s) inside.

7. YardMedic

YardMedic LawnSite Member

Looks like a good bore job there, but I have to ask what the F* people think putting valve boxes in the lawn when mulch beds are a MUCH better place for esthetics & damage.

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

mmmmmm, nice red clay. Makes this KY native think of home!!

9. i went and looked for what you were referring to and I think that is the water meter.

10. YardMedic

YardMedic LawnSite Member

Makes sense! But ya know what I mean though? If the goal is for a valve box to be covered over by grass eventually, why not just put it somewhere it WON'T be seen by covering it with mulch if you're so inclined? Or leave it uncovered in a mulch bed, which I find perfectly acceptable.