1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Borit boring tool

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by landscape guy, Aug 25, 2006.

1. landscape guy

landscape guy LawnSite Member

Has anyone used this tool and how efective is it in different soil conditions for sidewalks and driveways.:canadaflag: :drinkup:
  2. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We have one. Works ok on our clay/rock soils. Be prepared to wear heavy leather gloves and replace your 1/2" drill periodically.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Works well most of the time. Be prepared to spend 4X the actual boring time in setup and breakdown time.
  4. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

i've never used one, but i've heard they make a mess, as with any water boring tool. try fence post and a sledge. or a bullet.

5. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

would agree with all these post regarding setup/breakdown time, gloves, drill.

But, it does drill a hole, I haven't used mine an awful lot, but what I have noticed is:
    1. You need to have a trench the depth you want to drill at. Basically if you start out on one side you are going to go at an angle, and it don't take much and you will get a lot deeper on the other side.
    2. I haven't tried it, but other methods, utilize a "guide" to hold the drill stem at the right depth, and going the right direction, and I think this would be a good idea with this tool also.
    3. Make sure you have good straight couplings on your pipe sections. I bought some from Menards, and they were "JUNK", consequently, the drill bit/pipe section wanted to do a whoop-de-whoop!!

Piece of pipe with jet nozzle works a lot faster for going under sidewalks.

Keep us posted on any wonderful ideas you come up with!!
  6. Mad Estonian

Mad Estonian LawnSite Senior Member

Just ordered one today. A question for those who've used it- do you (or do you think you might ever) need a sump pump for the water that spills out (they recommend digging a sump hole, I'm just wondering how much water there is, if you're going under a good sized driveway). Thanks.
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

A lot depends on the size of pipe you're boring for, how far the bore is and how hard the ground is (and/or obstacles encountered). This all equates as to how much water will eventually be in your boring side trench.

If you're boring for a large main line then you will have to eventually change boring bits and ream the hole out, sometimes several times (increasing bit size) depending on the size of the hole you need. If you're just punching through a small diameter pipe then that is pretty straight forward.

The longer the bore the more water will be used because it will take you longer.

Soil hardness will affect how long it takes for the bore. Soft soil goes quickly while hard soil with obstacles (like chunks of buried rock or concrete) will take longer.

As the tool is used longer there is also one aspect that might cause problems. The weakest point in the whole system is the connection between your drill and the boring tool. Doesn't seem to matter how tight you get the drill chuck there eventually will be wobble and subsequent wallowing of the chuck.
  8. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i use one for sidewalks. never have done a driveway. we use a sump pump after the sump hole fills. keeps the trench and drill dry. you need a very heavy duty 1/2" drill. a basic 1/2" will burn up. we have a piece of 11/2" pvc that slides over the drill pipe for starting the hole straight. one person holds the pvc while drilling begins. if you start at an angle, after 4, of drilling your pipe maybe 3' deep. all in all though it works pretty good for us.