Boron Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mickhippy, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a chance of buying "Boron Blades" (Boron is the steel they are made of from Germany and Spain) at about half the price of Original JD blades! Does anyone know if this steel is particularly better than the steel JD uses. In the brochure it says that they have ....... "52 Rockwell Hardness"? I figure that means there pretty tough but how does that compare with other blades? It goes on to say that people "report up to 40% increased wear" out of them.

Any thoughts?????????

2. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

52 RC is VERY hard!!
    I have a knife from AG Russel that is at 52RC and it is hard to get an edge on, but, once there it is noticeably longer lasting. Of course, I have not used a grinder to sharpen it!:D
    Norm

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Just because the blade is made out of harder material doesn't always mean they are better. The harder the steel, the more prone they are to breaking rather than just bending if you hit something with them. Also, the harder they are, more difficult to sharpen.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

ASP's On Line catalogue will bring you the best deals on all kinds of ride on mower blades, slasher blades, discs, coulters,sweeps, points, alabamas, furrowers, flails, tines and a variety of Row Crop parts.

Can you help me out here, What is an alabama?? I haven't heard of that before, As far as the blades, I'm sure that you would get more use time out of them seeing as they are a harder material.

I guess it's like cast iron, It's super strong but brittle.:)