1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Borough workers in PA

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1MajorTom, Apr 10, 2003.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Do Borough workers need to be licensed to spray weeds like we have to be? They're not exempt are they?

I just read in the newspaper the minutes of a borough council meeting, and it says:
    Council also decided not to renew the (Company's name) contract to spray the ballfields twice a season for $625.00. Borough maintenance workers will spot-spray any poision ivy or other noxious weeds that appear.

The company, whose name I don't recognize, I'm sure is not losing sleep over 625 bucks, but that's not the point.

So to save money they are going to do it themselves. So my question is: Do borough workers need to be licensed in PA. I'm not sure what the guidelines are for them.

This has nothing do with us, but if I find that they do need to be licensed and I find them to not be, I will notify them about their penny pinching.

Why would I do this? Because by this being printed in the paper, all this does is give any Tom, Dick, and Harry the idea that they can do this also.

Thoughts on this?
  2. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I know a guy that works for a local school in my area, I asked him who does the lawn care at the football stadium, and he said that he did. he also said that he is the only person allowed to do it because he is the only person licensed at the school. I would say that they would have to be licensed.
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Jodi, over here they are the same as us and have to be certified. Most of our Township guys are certified even the guys that just drive the trucks and don't actually do any spraying have to be certified.
    They also have to follow all posting rules so call them and just ask how they are doing this. We are doing some local Town work this year as they have no one certified to do it anymore.
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

In Ohio they would most defiantly need to be licensed. My friend was hired by a local town's maintenance dept.. He had to get licensed to spray their parks. :) ;) :) ED
  5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Short answer - in PA. anyone who applies any chemical for someone other than themselves must be certified.
  6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

7. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Long answer in Pa. - I am not sure the regs on Public grounds, but commercial applications do NOT have to be done by certified applicators in PA. They applicator has to be registered under a company with one certified applicator who is supervising the applications. Supervising does not mean they have to be on site by the way. The one doing the applications needs to be registered, along with other qualifications. Check it out.
  8. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

OK, you got me on a technecality, but see section 128.52
  9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

They fall under a Public applicators liscense. Still have to have the catagories.
    A lot of these small townships blow off the regs then plead ignorance when called on it.
    On the upside Iam seeing more municipals at update credit meetings.
  10. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of uncertified people making applications. I think all pesticide applicators should pass the certification test before they are allowed to become a technician. The test is easy enough anyway.