Borrowed C4 + Straight Gas = Many cuss words

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jeds_Lawn_Care, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys. I gotta hum-dinger. This was a month or two ago.

I am doing a leaf job and my blowers both quit on me. I take em' to my dealer and a guy I know who does lawncare asks if I need a blower today. I say yes and he loans me one of his C4 8510s. I use it and am impressed with it. Latter I get a call from my dealer saying that both blowers are shot. He asks who put gas in them. "I did" I say. Well......

Straight gas does work well with 2 cycle equiptment....I made this mistake because I had 2 identical 5 gal. tanks in the back of my truck.

I don't rember if it was right then or a little while later that I realized that I had run 2 TANKS OF STRAIGHT GAS IN THE BORROWED C4 BLOWER.

I told my dealer about it and he says it has been permenatly damaged. So I had to buy that guy a brand new 8510.

But here is the interesting thing,

The 8510 that I ran two tanks of straight gas in, still runs. I am going to run it untill it dies. It is kinda hard to start though.

The moral of this story is,

My 2 cycle can has been spray painted orange. There can be no mistakes now.

$540 I'll never see again.:hammerhead:
  2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

ALL of my cans have mixed gas in them, to stop just this sort of thing. It is pretty cheap insurance in my opinion.
  3. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

That is a hum dinger dude, I have all my cans marked.
  4. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

what were you huffing that day? that kinda **** only happens from one of your employees(then he's fired) not the owner. i woulda gave myself a first class ass whipping for that one.:hammerhead:
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I dont see how the heck you can make that mistake THAT damn many times! Wow... and then brag about it on here... I really can't talk though, as I seem to have problems remembering to open the hood, pull out the dipstick, and make sure the truck has at least SOME oil in it...

Why do you have mix in 5 gal can anyway? You cant possibly go through it THAT quick. I just use a 1 gal can for mix.
  6. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Yur soooo fired!!!!!! in more ways than 1
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

We go through about 10 gallons a week so we mix it in five gallon cans. I dont see how it can happen either though.
  8. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

I am still just part time and I use enough two cycle to mix it in a 5 gal can. It last about 2 1/2 weeks. I can't imagine how often you most be mixing gas.

I bought a blue gas can and wrote 2 cycle on the side of it. My boys (16 and 13) help me sometimes and don't want them putting the wrong gas in a blower...
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I too don't see how the owner of the equipment could make such a mistake, over and over no less. Mixed fuel is a dark brown or blue in color, straight gas is nearly clear. Not to mention that YOU were the one that mixed the gas in the first place! Iv'e been using 2 cycle equipment, starting with pushing a lawn boy when I was in about 2nd grade, and I am proud to say I have never made the error of putting straight gas in a 2 stroke.
  10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member