Borrowed dads trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Sep 26, 2003.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

My trimmer is out of commision for a few days. Used my dads I dont have a back up. It's a homelite, this thing was like a toy wasnt sure if I was supposed to put soap instead of gas in it and have bubbled come out. What a piece of junk does anyone actually use these things???:dizzy:

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

That's funny. You've just experienced the difference between home owner and commercial equipment.
    Companies can put anything together for home owner use, and sell millions at the right price. Many don't worry about quality, if the retailers get returns, they exchange or replace them. Many home owners shop only price and many never put the equipment to any real test, so the mfg makes out great in the numbers game.
    Commercial equipment is where the real testing is, and that's why there's usually such a quality difference.
    Hope you get yours back soon.

3. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

I was at my parents house visiting one day, and I offered to cut the grass for them. I had to use their equipment since mine was at home. I enjoyed cutting the grass with an electric mower (not!). Then there was the electric weedeater to do the trimming with. I think it was a weedeater brand. The trimmer line was about the diametere of a thread. It was not a fin experience. I'll use my own stuff from now on!

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I do my parents lawn now and then for them and it's funny because I like get done in an hour...and they are like, "How did you get it done so fast!?!?"

5. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Yes I do. I've used them for years. Great little product for the price you pay. I've been paying around $80 for the ZipStart and I'll get about 3 seasons from it until I have to throw them away and buy another. Bear in mind that I only service 12-15 yards per week and all have very little trimming.

Thanks,

BAMARED

6. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Yes I do. I've used them for years. Great little product for the price you pay. I've been paying around $80 for the ZipStart and I'll get about 3 seasons from it until I have to throw them away and buy another. Bear in mind that I only service 12-15 yards per week and all have very little trimming.

Thanks,

BAMARED

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

You can say that again! hehe

Homelites rock! I still have the trimmer and blower I started with, many many years ago. Before I was even fully on my own. The trimmer is 10+ years old, it can go a full season without getting even started, and then it will crank up in 2 minutes or less. The blower I haven't even tried to start in years. The darn head on the trimmer spins the wrong way, but it's got lots of power.

BARMARED: Do yourself a favor; get a Shindaiwa T260 or 270.

You will save money over time, I promise. One 270, doing 20 or so yards a week will last longer than you care to be in business. The power of it will so easily surpass the homelite, you will wonder WHY you didn't do it sooner. Like I said, Homelites rock. But they are NOTHING like a commercial trimmer, especially a Shindaiwa. If you've ever thought about taking someone advise on here, make it mine. lol You will not regret it, the two are night and day.

~Nest

P.S. You'd be home earlier each day too! With less fatigue!

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I started with homelite,they do take a beating. But i like the commercial stuff better,
    John

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

When I first started out I had a Homelite trimmer. Believe it or not, It lasted for seven years. I didnt do a lick of maintainence on it that I can remember. Since then I have switched to echo commercial grade equipment and have had a lot of problems. Carb replaced within one year. fuel soaked filters, Hard to start,etc. Makes you wonder sometimes. This spring will be switching again to redmax.

10. Ookie

Ookie LawnSite Member

Homelite, Craftsman and Weedeater do not last very long. I went through a period a couple years ago where I could not afford a new commercial trimmer and had to buy a cheapo to get by on. They do not last me more than a month or 2. Just not worth it. I went through 6 Echo trimmers before I got smart and bought my first Stihl. It has lasted almost 3 years. Well worth the price. It has never let me down yet.

My first mower was a Murray 38 inch rider. It lasted 6 months before the deck wore out. My Bobcat is 5 years old and I just replaced the drive belts last week for the first time. It goes and goes and goes. Always buy commercial. You just do not save money buying the cheap stuff.