Bosch Rotary Hammer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Stonehenge, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Okay, here we go....

Bought a Bosch SDS rotary hammer drill today. Going to put some rebar through some limestone outcroppings tomorrow. I'll give you a report tomorrow.

Paul - any words of wisdom before I start? BTW, it's the 1 1/8" rotary hammer - the biggest one they had, ar, ar, ar!
  2. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Those things works great!

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

How big a hole you drilling? Don't bind the bit! and drilling 2 stones make sure they don't rock or slip!
  4. Stonehenge

from Midwest

drilling for 1/2" rebar, only going in 8-10". Good advice on anchoring the stones before drilling.
  5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like the job is going to go real quick with a drill like that. How many holes do you have to do?

I got a used AEG this winter and tested it out the first day I had it. I drilled a 1 1/8 hole through a rock that was about 8 inches thick in a matter of minutes.

I bet that thing will take maybe a minute. Are the holes on the ground ? (so you can press down on it) or going horizontal. Drilling horizontal is not as much fun. Can take a lot longer if you can't get any leverage into it.

6. Stonehenge,

Just don't drop it in water, doesn't work to well in water. Asides from that, I've been using Bosch SDS hammer drills the last three years. Though the bits can be on the expensive side, probaly the best money spent on a hand held dril that I ever spent.
  7. Stonehenge

from Midwest

Well, that thing sure can drill -

I was so excited to use it the first time I didn't wait for it to warm up and get up to speed. :blob3:

It punched 1/2" holes through 9 inches of limestone really quick. The 3/4" holes took a considerably longer amount of time, but it is a much bigger hole.

So I'd have to say thumbs up to my first experience with the SDS plus rotary hammer. It's got drill only and hammer only settings, too.