Boss is selling out, is the price right?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pistolgripnova, May 19, 2013.

1. mmrunyan1

mmrunyan1 LawnSite Member

Don't forget business registration, business insurance, taxes, liability, accounting cost, personal time spent that will increase, workers comp insurance, etc., etc. I wouldn't touch it for over 15K.

2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Not to spoil the party but none of this thread matters any if you don't have the entire amount in cash money.
    All of it and I'm surprised this isn't the first question people ask, because they should.

Bank ain't going to loan it to you.
    And if you don't believe me, go and try.

So, you have that kind of money?
    If you don't, it's no matter talking much further.
    Few people do, why it's always the first thing I ask.

3. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to see tax returns, and a whole lot more, buying accounts is risky no matter what, your guaranteed to lose accounts. I bought 12 accounts last year and only have four left,luckily I didn't pay much for them and the highest paying ones are the ones still with me, I learned the hard way about buying accounts, people don't like change no matter what they might say. Good luck, but be careful and do your homework.TAX RETURNS!

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

he really shouldn't lose any accounts since he is already the one running the crew that services the accounts. as long as you keep the same name of the company the people will never know the company has changed owners. they will see the same people showing up to work on their yard so they will think nothing has changed.

5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Most company owners finance the sale to make things easier for the buyer...and agree to be a consultsnt for 6months or so

6. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly.

Best Way does my trash disposal. I see a best way dump truck. i get a bill from best way. i don't have a freakin clue who owns it. but if its sold and noone tells me then after the sale. i get a bill from best way and i see a best way dump truck

make sure you have in writing you can use the company name. or at least use it as part of your name so the bill seems to come from the same person.

The price seems about right. at least for what it would go for up here in michigan.

as far as how much you are getting from the accounts. i agree there is something off. 1000 / 4 cuts / 150 laws = 16.66 per cut. that seems low. should average at least 25 per lawn. up here in michigan anyway.

7. pistolgripnova

pistolgripnova LawnSite Member

Yes I do have cash in hand, I dont mess with debt

8. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

thats alot of cash.

i forgot to ask. are said clients under a contract?

9. pistolgripnova

Well its not 150 accounts that are serviced every week, a good number are but theres a lot of bi weekly accounts also...been kinda dry around these parts for 2 years.

10. pistolgripnova

The largest of the accounts are, town home complexes and the like but the individual yards are not under a contract.