Botanical help, please

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to find some research done on 1) What the roots pick up from the soil and store in those roots. and 2) What the roots do to create the elements in the sap that goes to the leaf for photosynthesis. and 3) What elements the leaf returns to the to the roots for growth and storage.

I am looking for a rather detailed, step by step process, that discusses some of the mechanisms involved.

Thanks for any help. :)

2. jeffmoore

jeffmoore LawnSite Member

CAT.INIST.fr give that a try

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't I post a link to a Plant Physiology textbook a while back?

4. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Sure did Kiril... one sec....

5. Smallaxe

I have been fairly consistant in looking over the websites you have posted and have even bookmarked some of them.
    I don't recall reading anything that detailed the process I am looking for, in this particular case. :)

Meanwhile I will google CAT.INIST.fr Thanks.

6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I know you followed this thread Smallaxe, but I will post it for any other readers. Kiril posted a 'back end' load of articles through the discussion...

The thread

The book

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

ok so here it goes, 3 wiki links in a row, sorry......

in my mind the type of root is to its function.............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root

there is also some referance at the bottom that looks great

8. Smallaxe

Thanks for the references, but none of them have shown me what I would like to be able to detail.

We all know that roots take up soluable nutrients. Questions are:
    What happens to the various nutrients brought in by roots at the time of dormancy?
    Are there any nutrients/sugars stored in stem or root that do not get synthesized?
    Does the root actually bring in nutrients/sugars when the plant is dormant and no chlorophyll is present?

We know the plant brings in water all winter - but not much is said about root or stem storage of unphotosynthesized chemicals.

Even some charts with brief statements about individual nutrients as they move through the plant, would be helpful.

Thanks again.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ax,
    I am a botanist. There are many complexities and variations relative to root uptake. A fat book in itself. To summarize, from my old text (Salisbury and Ross, Plant Physiology), Nitrate is absorbed by the root cells (although ammonium can also be absorbed). Nitrate absorbtion is an active process and it requires energy in the form of sugars supplied from photosynthesis in the leaves. The nitrate is then reduced and converted to ammonium (again using energy); this is then converted to organic compounds such as glutamic acid and asparagine which can be safely transported in the xylem to the upper portions of the plant. (Ammonium is somewhat toxic to plants, once it is within the plant). But some grasses have appreciable amounts of nitrate in the xylem stream. Many of the early mineral nutrition experiments were conducted in hydroponic culture or in washed sand or perlite.

See also Jim Beard's excellent book, "Turfgrass Science and Culture".

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ax, I forgot part of your question. Sugars are stored in roots after being converted to starch (usually). I suspect that nitrogen is stored in various organic compounds. Since the plant is dormant I would think that not much energy is available to bring in minerals during the winter and if the storage within the cells was full, saturated, not much could happen.