Bottom drain installation

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by STL Ponds and Waterfalls, Sep 4, 2012.

1. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a potential customer that wants his pond to be converted to a bottom drain. I've never done a bottom drain so I need some advice on installs and materials, drain etc.

I'm not a fan of cutting holes in the bottom of a liner but it's his pond so I need a good source for the materials etc.

2. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

3. turner_landscaping

Ive put tons of bottom drains in and they are very simple to install.. they go together just like a skimmer faceplate. Easy pro has kit that has everything you need.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

This guy is actually not too far from me:
    http://www.suburbanponds.com/shop/listing.php?parentId=9

His filter system uses a very large bottom drain (ideally, a 4" PVC pipe), which slowly feeds water into a cyclone separator before the water gets stirred up by the pump.
    The cyclone is actually a really good system, if it is gravity fed, and from what I've seen, is about as efficient as it gets for removing solids from the water.

5. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Bottom drains, as Gregg says, are really not that difficult to install .....ON A NEW PROJECT. Retrofitting a BD on an existing pond can be a real PITA.....pond needs to be drained; liner and underlayment must be pulled back to proposed location of BD, trenching must be done for drain line, etc. De-construction and re-construction of a goodly portion of the pond is unavoidable.
    Although the piping will be exposed, Tetra makes a BD that can be placed on top of the existing liner.

6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

It will basically be a rebuild. He wants the pond to be bigger and deeper. Basically it will go from an ecosystem pond to and outdoor aquarium.

7. tadpole

8. turner_landscaping

All bottom drains that i install are the combo diffuser drain.. for not much more money the upgrade is better especially w
    us in the north for winter purposes its cheaper than a 1500 watt heater.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. tadpole

Good idea. Additional insurance.
    I keep forgetting that you guys have to deal with really cold weather and that 'white stuff'.

10. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

That's starting to be up for debate her is STL!