Bottom Roller repair

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TAF, Jan 24, 2007.

1. TAF

TAF LawnSite Member
    from Wa

Any advice out there regarding building up bottom rollers? I am a proficient welder and have a in house machine shop of my own. Just looking for some advice. I have been warned the ID bore will shrink if they get too hot while welding. No one seems to do repair work such as this anymore? Dealer cost is $192 ea which I think is high for these small rollers.
    Machine is a PC40-7 w/steel tracks. I need factory specs regarding OD and width also.

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

TAF....I'd call Peck Welding in Tacoma, Washington and talk with them as to their reccomendations. These guys specialize in mini's and have been (for me) an incredible resource for do's/don'ts and trouble shooters. Don has been my contact there........253-537-6301

3. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

How wore are they you will have to put new seals in them and press them a part and repress and refill with oil the seals on my 35 deere rollers run about $100 per roller and about a hour each to rebuild.

minimax

4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

we always just run the bottom rollers till they start cutting in the bushung bosses then we replace then, more offten than not by the time that the outer wears down the bearings and seals are gone it is just simpler to replace the whole deal

5. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

See if the dealer will give you a break on price if they order on stock order and pay cash. Freight and credit card charges eat a lot of profit up and is figured in some dealers prices.

6. dirthog

dirthog LawnSite Member

the reason no one does it any more is because is cost you will need new seals & o-rings for the shafts you will have $35-$40 each for the seals. you will have to remove the bushings to weld the shell up and no dought ruin them getting them out It will take very little welding to shrink the shell and it will need reboared for the bushing to fit. this is all very labor intensive work thats why most people and dealers do not do it.

7. TAF

TAF LawnSite Member
    from Wa

I took apart the first roller. There are no seals, 2 small o rings for each end of the shaft and 2 larger o rings per side for the sides. I welded it up and turned the OD on my lathe. Inner bores shrunk a bit, but I was able to use a brake hone to get back to correct size. The bores are round and back to where they were prior to welding. I figure it took about 3 hours total for the first roller. May not be worth the time, but I guess I am stubborn? I'd gladly buy new, but not for what the dealer is asking.

8. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Try after market rollers,Berco makes Deere undercarriage on the track skid.Try them ! Maybe someone can get you their website ,you proably could do a search for some place close to you that is a dealer for them.Grace Track service here is my dealer for after market dozer rollers and etc.

I know they do all the different brand dozer undercarriage.Maybe some one will have other,but some place to start with .Good Luck

9. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

The seals a machined metal face seals with outer O rings that hold the metal face seals in place and seals are very touche, they say finger prints with wreck them.

minimax

10. dirthog

dirthog LawnSite Member

minimax is correct while not quite that bad be very careful with them if the large o-rings have expanded any they will have to be replaced also do not drop the metal seals also keep them matched the way the came apart you may get lucky and they not leak when you reassemble them keep them CLEAN wipe them with a soft lint free cloth and lightly oil them before putting them back together also do not over fill them with oil or you will blow the seals out.