Bought 2 new John Deeres 717 and 757

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stinchcomb Lawn, May 16, 2007.

1. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

A couple of days ago I bought the 717 and 757 to add to my fleet. I had asked several 717 owners about their mowers and what they said was all true. The 717 is amazing !! I already had 1 757 I have been unsing well abusing is more like it, we have really put this machine to the test and it has proven to be the best IMO time after time. So I decided to buy another one, there are some difference from my first 757 to the second but I can live with them. The orignal 757 just had the belt replaced for the first time in well over a 125 hrs and that is the only thing I have done. I will keep everyone posted on all 3 units, I would take pics but all of them are already dirty, they were used the first day I got them. I working on getting them !!

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When was it that they bumped up the blade tip speed...was it last years models?

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Are you saying the belt only lasted only 125 hours? Those belts should last 700 - 1000hrs.

4. Stinchcomb Lawn

NO I have had belts last longer and shorter amounts of time. I was just saying the belt is the only thing I have had to replace due to a large stick taking a chunck out of it. It didn't break unlike the grasshopper that was in your shop for repair with 30 hours on it! Lets look at the belt and the bearings on that deck after 30 hours of use. That mower has been on jobs with me for 25 of those hours and hasn't been put to near the test that the JD 757 has!!! He has a Homedepot JD that has been totally abused and no probloems yet, he uses it to cut the TALL grass before the Grasshopper is used. Those bearings and the belt on that grasshopper should never be in that shape with only 30 hours, not even 900 hours. My friend that is why all of my machines are GREEN.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You did not say what caused the belt to break. I was only suggesting you return it to the dealer if it was defective for a warranty replacement.
    As to the Grasshoper in question. It is being used in conditions it was not designed for, and being pushed beyond it's design limits. It is not fair to compare your 25 and 30 HP JD. machines with big deep decks, to a little 20HP Grasshopper with a shallow 48" deck.
    By the way. Did you get the ride issues cleared up on the big 997? I know there were a lot of suggestions offered in the other posts, so, just wondered how that all came out. I assume that big machine will mow anything you can knock down with it.

6. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrads on your new purchases!:usflag: I will have pics of all my new equipment in about a month too! :cool2:

7. Stinchcomb Lawn

The problem with the 997 was the air pressure in the tires. I has several flats and the tire shop had over 20 lbs in each tire.

As for the grasshopper in question we have compared it to the JD that is in the same class the 717A 19 HP 48 in deck. Again the Deere out performed the grasshopper, and that is coming from the owner of the Grasshopper. This mower has not been pushed past it's limits, not even close !! There is no excuse for the belt to look the way is does with 30 hours. As for the bearing on the deck going out after 30 hours of use I'm still shocked after seeing that. Like I said before he has a Homedepot JD that is two years old and has been abused like no other with no problems at all !!! I am not impressed with this grasshopper at all. I dont think there should be any excuses made for this machine, it is not performing the way it should and if these problems keep coming up this machine will be replaced with a GREEN one.