1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bought a 2013 Badboy Outlaw XP today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by 123hotdog, Jul 17, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the absolute truth. Hustler use to be more common up here but lost a huge market share due to all the hydro problems. They HAD to offer this warranty...Im curious if the new hyperdrive will hold up any better? Only time will tell.

2. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem with the other setup was asking to much of the White wheel motors, the White wheel motors were inexpensive, the new system is in class by itself and the more rigorous conditions you use the Hustler in the more it will show how much better it is made.

You may be able to get alot of hours out of other hydro systems but if I was using a 72 on hills and mowing all day at top speed I know which mower I would get for sure and without?.

The people who deal in hydraulics call the HD Super a standard good setup, they call all other ZTR hydraulics disposable junk.

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I think they went over board the weight effects their hillside stability.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This is an expensive hydraulic system, and I think you and I both know to offer this strong a warranty, the manufacturer wants to be certain there is a paper trail to follow for maintenance procedures.

There are commercial cutters putting 1000 hrs. per cutting season on these mowers in the south, so 3 to 4 yrs. for many keeps their hydraulics under full warranty with a maintenance paper trail the manufacturer can follow.

This is not "plenty of outs," the manufacturer only wants to know you are the original buyer of the mower, and that it is serviced to their specs. This is nothing at all out of the ordinary, and something all manufacturers would require if able to offer a warranty of that caliber.

I am told there has already been thousands of hours put on the HyperDrive with no major failures, as a matter of fact, one of the mechanics told me the only thing they had done to a HyperDrive system was service, clean, and check the system to make sure no oil line was seeping.

There is one cutter in this area I'm told that has 10 of these mowers, so it is real smart on his part to drop the mowers off at the dealer for their 500 hr. hydraulic service, then if a failure does occur, there can be no questions asked as to the validity of the work performed.

5. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

I think they went overboard to, I can see adding 75 or a 100 max but 200 is way overkill on weight

For durability the mower is built, even the dealers feel the mower is overkill unless you are Puppy or doing roadside work like me.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The term they use "Hustler approved parts only" is an out. The fact that they want you to mantain them is no issue for me, but the out comes when it's time to get service/warranty work and they want to see your paperwork proving the service and intervals at which it occured. I agree that for a guy with several of the SZ's, going to the dealer for service may be the best bet to make sure you are covered. I've been through the paper trail deal with other brands myself, and even the Hustler dealer here wants you to have the service done at their shop to avoid warranty claim issues. That speaks a lot to me right there.

Like I said before though, there''s no doubt that the system is heavy duty. they should be seeing some long life considering the way they are built.

I don't know any professional cutters who do residential or a mix of resi and commercial that post anywhere near that many hours on their machines each year. Those that can and do log high hours, run more than one machine to spread the load and fulfill their contracts. The only place here that I know uses (or used. Haven't seen them mowing with SZ's for a few years after going to WAM's) Hustler commercially is the courthouse complex. Even those guys don't run up that many hours on them and it is a HUGE complex consisting of many very large parcels of land. If I had to guess, it's at least a couple hundred acres total they cut. If anyone could use the speed here it would be those guys, but they never mow at full sticks for some reason, at least never that I have seen. I'm not sure why, because some of these places are so big that a 240" deck would look small on them. I've always wanted to stop one and ask them about that, but they try to stay clear of "the public" while cutting. Maybe it's a union rule or something.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have no reason not to let my dealer do the hydraulic service, as he already has at 40 hrs., he picks the mower up, does the work and delivers it back to me at no charge for pickup or delivery. I don't mind paying the labor to know they use all Hustler's recommended parts and fluids, and there can never be any question if a hydraulic component fails. I guess I look at it kind of like insurance. All companies will squirm out of a warranty responsibility if given any chance at all.

8. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

No you, we actually deliver personally...lol

9. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Yes the 226 is really nice. It actually has 12cc pumps and wheel motors, 3 yr commercial unlimited hour warranty, 0% finance for 48 months is only 1% cost cheapest in industry. It is more comparable to the outlaw in price and features the czt and 226 are 2 completely different machines. Some like one hate the other, some take 4 hours to decide...lol

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

How far away do you travel to deliver?