Bought a case 1840

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Lawnworks, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I bought a case 1840 to sell. I was pretty impressed w/ the machine. I never really looked into buying one when I was buying one for my business use, b/c I just didn't like the looks of them. They just aren't the "sexiest" looking machine, but I have to say these machines seem really nice. The controls are so much better than a comparable bobcat... maybe any bobcat! We bought a bobcat 743 to sell and this 1840 is much easier to operate. The hydraulics are really smooth. The 4-cylinder cummins engine sounds like a hoss. These machines seem like an excellent starter machine... definately a good value. I wonder if they can pick up a pallet of sod. This one was used at a chicken farm... seems like an easy life??? What do yall think of these 1840s?
  2. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

There simple, reliable, parts are cheap, and you can always find somebody that knows everything about them when they need work. They still bring good money on the used market, It amazes me what dealers ask for some of them that are ugly, beat and have high hours. there A great investment when bought right, you will lose hardly any money on them.
  3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

They are still pretty popular and you see them quite often around here... not bad for a machine that is 15+ years old and normally has high hours. They hold value very well and you could probably run it for a couple of years and turn around and sell it for not much less than you paid for it, providing you took care of it.

Our 1845C has been one of the most reliable machines that I've been on. We use ours more for dirt work, but there have been two times that it would not unload a pallet. The first time was a full pallet of retaining wall stone off of my flatbed trailer, however I think it would have if it would have been stacked and placed on the trailer better. The other time it would not unload a full pallet of semi-wet sod out of an F-350 with a landscaper dump bed. It moved both pallets around o.k., just struggled some unloading them.
  4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have had 6 1840s. They really are a great machine. Not much goes wrong, the pin brake set was really the only issue with them, and even that if you knew how to drive it, it was not a real issue. The resale has to be the best in the industry for machines of their year of manufacture. They continue to bring 8K to 13K depending on hours. I paid 13K for mine with 500 hours on it in 1995, that was my first machine. If you could find one now with 500 hours on it, I would not be surprised if you could get 13k for it. The ROC is only about 1400 pounds. The engine has great lugging ability. They were great money makers then and continue to be. They are a little loud and rough riding but there are current machines that have the same issues.
  5. 74inchShovel

74inchShovel LawnSite Member

My 1840 has 2,000 hours and has been bulletproof. Never broken down, never blown a hose, a couple batteries and fluid changes on time and its good to go. One thing you have to watch is dirt getting under the plate where your feet are. This will build up, then will make emergency brake hard to release. Its a bad set up, with cables, pullies, and whatnot. Keep 'er clean and you wont be sorry.
  6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

only thing i don't like about ours is the park brake takes a little while to kick in (putting the safety bar up when you load it onto a tilt trailer) and sometimes the park brake won't release so you just have to nudge it in reverse before you can move forward
  7. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Our 1845C is the same way on the parking brake not releasing, you have to nudge the machine either forward or reverse a little to pop it loose and then you are fine. Every 1840 I have been in had the two small tap bars on each side you had to fold down like the new Cat C series and that was my only complaint on them. I like the one big lap bar you pull down from over your head.
  8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Machines built prior to 94 had that twin lap bar system.