Bought a CC Charger

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Eldon, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Eldon

Eldon LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

I made a post a couple of weeks ago about demoing my first ZTR. There really wasn"t much else to pick from in my area, and the charger seemed like a really nice machine for the money, so I took the plunge. When I demoed the CC, I did note how it would throw out a few lumps. I got the dealer to throw in a set of gator blades, thinking it would help. Really it hasn't. I should note that we've had a lot of rain here. I have yet to mow dry grass. It also seems to collect alot of grass under the deck. The deck is supposed to flip up, but the 60" is more than I can begin to lift. Any suggestions on the lumps of grass and the accumulation under the deck?

2. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

I usually wait until the grass is pretty dry (at least 2 days after any rain) and any discharge is hardly noticeable. I was also surprised that the deck seems to accumulate less debris with the discharge kit installed (including gators); even less when I use a spray. I agree about the heavy (very commercial) deck; I don't like to flip-up the 52" by myself. The optional lift jack is about $60 (cheaper than a chiropractor) and will also come in handy if you ever want to raise one of the rear wheels.

3. Eldon

Eldon LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

I don't really know what you mean by discharge kit. I used the mower with both the standard blades and the gators. Equal amount of lumps being thrown out and grass under deck.

4. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Sorry, meant to say mulching kit.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Eldon, I think it's just all the rain. My mowers (52" Snapper WB, and 36" Exmark WB) are also throwing clumps and grass really building up under the deck.
    They never usually give me these problems, it's just so wet lately.

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Gator blades tend to throw clumps in wet or heavy conditions due to the blades doing their job.........mulching the grass,hence keeping the grass in the deck longer, hence the clumping.
    High lift blades are your best hope, I don't know what came with your mower.
    Doubles do a pretty decent job of eliminating clumps but I'm not sure that's for a homeowner or your particular machine since I'm not familiar with it.