Bought A Giant Vac Extreme II, 13hp. WOW

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DoubleCutter, Nov 7, 2003.

1. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter LawnSite Member

Well I been putting off my leaf jobs because my 8hp Fradan isnt really what I need anymore, I need something with alot more snot to keep things rolling fast.
    I went out today and bought the Extreme II with the 13hp Kohler( I guess yamaha makes it??) Its definitely a step up from my Fradan, In weight and in power. Id just like to know what kind of luck you guys are having with these units, And what you paid for it. I had them throw in the front swivel caster in front too, man is that an awsome feature. I paid over a "G" , But it will make 10 times that this year alone.
    I could have gotten a Little Wonder for about the same, But They dont supply CFM ratings, and that and weight were my 2 most imp purchase factors, And I really havent heard anyone who "swears" by'em yet
    Bill

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

That's because they're so good, they don't have to!!
    ;) :D

So you like the swivel kit? I thought about getting it on my Little Wonder, but it's so powerful, I thought it would be hard to keep it straight.

Good luck with it.

3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

thats a nice unit.there new tailgate leaf loaders have a 10 hp kohler kawi engine on it.its a kohler engine made by kawi.pretty cool how the small engine guys are mixing things up.let us know how that bad boy works out for you.let us know how it does on wet leaves.

4. pap4464

pap4464 LawnSite Member

Hope you have good luck with your unit! I purchased a Giant vac 16 hp leaf loader 3 years ago and have not had much luck with it. It has broken down three years in a row and this year has been the topper. New fuel pump, carb solenoid, new carb ($300 total). I have contacted Kohler and they admitted they are having problems with model # TH 16 S. They are looking at possibly reimbursing me a partial for the parts purchased. I will never buy one of these Kohlers again!
    I just purchased a 10hp little wonder and it's awesome!!

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Little Wonders are the most efficient powerfull push blowers out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even my 1990 8hp LW is blowing STRONG and lasting LONG.

A 13hp LW is 38% MORE powerful than the 13hp Giant-Vac

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

And for those that believe backpacks can replace a wheeled blower.....think again!

Notice the weight of the cart here is LOWER! And their using TWO backpacks!

[​IMG]

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

interesting.

I have a snapper wheeled blower with a five hp briggs that I absolutely despise.

I don't think it would register on that test. :(

GEO

8. DoubleCutter

DoubleCutter LawnSite Member

That test alone is why I didnt buy the LW, I just want the facts Ma'am. I want CFM numbers, Not how far the blower can push little mrs fanny patches doll up a ramp. From what I have been told from most dealers, GV uses motors that are spec'd for leaf blower service, so the cranks, etc are all built to withstand the stress blower fans put on these engines.
    In reply with the swivel kit, I love it this thing is so nimble on grass, parking lots its awsome. Its will spin pretty quick, if you leave the blower on pavement and walk awayit starts spinning on its own pretty fast.
    I used it for my first job this morning, a commercial account I have,(hence working on Sunday). Im more than happy with it.

I just hope I finish my jobs before the MF'n snow starts to fly, I aint getting screwd like I did last year, when it snowed on Nov 27th
    Bill

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Lemme know when you have it figured out how to control the weather...LOL

10. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i would have to say that theres nothing special about the GV engines.i have a old GV 9hp and a LW 9hp and they both have the same B&S engine.my older 9 and 11hp LW are alittle stronger than my 9hp GV.who cares about CFMs really? as long as theres good dealer support and price.i will buy the machine that i like and that will work well for my needs