Bought a Lastec!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassgirl4, Apr 5, 2008.

1. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

So until a couple weeks ago, I had never heard of Lastec. Then I saw the post on here about "Neat Articulating Mower..." I thought to myself, "Hmmm, maybe I should take a look at this." I had looked at articulating mowers last season when I was in the market for a small z/wb...but of course I already had the Exmark Lazer Z 60" which was in top condition with low hours...so buying another large z was silly...would have been nice, but silly.

Then I saw this thing. I checked into it more (watched demo videos, read reviews on LawnSite, etc.) and determined that if I was going to take my business to the next level (i.e. higher cut quality, yet maintain current pricing structure), I needed this mower. Not to mention I needed a large backup mower in case my Lazer Z went down for a time (there would be nothing worse in my mind then to have to huff it on a bunch of large properties with a 36" wb!!).

So...I pulled the trigger and bought it!! Yes, it's true that it does not have as much of a trim edge. However, there is a small one, and in my mind, the time saved not having to worry NEARLY as much about the direction you have to mow to avoid scalping, gouging, or missed grass makes up for the extra trimming and then some!! Also, the anti-scalp wheels on the sides rock (or give) so you don't get the gouging that you sometimes experience when turning on soft ground...

The price isn't cheap; however, if you can locate a demo or gently-used unit, you can probably get it for around the same price as any other brand new 60" z...which is awesome!!

I can't wait to try mine out on actual grass!!!!

Something to consider if you want to elevate your game...

2. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

congrats on your purchase, hope the machine works out well for you! If i'm not mistaken they are in the 20K range right? I saw them at gie/expo... pretty neat mowers.

3. grassgirl4

I think the 73" models run around $20K new, but the 61" lists around $12,800. I bought a demo with 40 hours for $9,500.

The neat thing about Lastec is that when you purchase a mower, it comes WITH the mulch kit, and you can configure the set-up to mulch, side, or rear discharge. And from what the dealer told me, after my paperwork has been submitted to the company (located in Indiana), they send you another set of high-lift blades and replacement belts...pretty good!!

4. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations on you new mower! I think that you;ll like it alot. I really like mine. I mowed my church's grounds today, which has quite a few gentle slopes, and I did not leave one scalped spot. Which engine did yu get on yours? Thanks, Razorblades.

5. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

Grass girl, How do you like the JrCO Hooker ?? what type of soils do you have there? we have heavy clay , to sandy ... Would you reccomend this unit??

6. grassgirl4

Razorblades, I got the 28hp Kohler EFI. I can't wait to try it out on grass!!

Mimowerman, I'd say our soil here is mostly black dirt and clay, with some sandy areas. I like my JRCO, but I am one of the few on here :( Click on my name and look at my other posts regarding the aerator. Also, you may want to run a search on JRCO to get other opinions on the unit...

7. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

You'll love it. I have have 400 hours on my 28hp 61" deck. You won't believe the difference in mowing compared to your Exmark. You can mow anything without worrying about scalping or gouging on the trim side. I love mine.

8. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

A pretty wealthy man in my area, who has a pretty large estate, heard about my mower and wanted to check it out, which he did and likedit. ( he already had 2 Gravely's, a 61" and a 72", both diesels) Lastec brought a demo 2872adc for him to try He used it on his estate for about 4 hrs and bought it! He paid less than $14,000. for it and it had less than 40 hrs on it. I am not a dealer but I believe that you can buy one for a couple of thousand less than list price at nearly any time. Maybe even more than a couple of thousand less. Razorblades.

9. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

pix???????

10. grassgirl4

I can't provide pix at this exact moment, but when I can I will!! :) In the interim, you could hop over to http://www.lastec.com and check out the demo video in the upper right-hand corner. It's sweet!!

I agree with Razorblades on pricing. If you look for a unit, you can probably find one...and even if it quite a distance from you, it would be worth every penny to go pick it up (if you can't ship it, that is!!).

Wow, Razorblades!! Less than $14K for the 72"?? That's not a deal...that's a steal!! LOL I'm guessing this will be the only brand of mower I purchase from here on out...

...And the funny thing is that unless other companies can come up with similar technology in a different fashion from Lastec, Lastec has the lock on its intellectual property for another 8 years!! By then, they will have the vast majority of bugs/kinks worked out and be working on new innovation while the competition is playing catch-up...unless, of course, the competition copies everything now so they have everything ready to roll when the patent expires...