Bought a Magna Matic, now what!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpel2004, Oct 22, 2007.

1. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Recently purchased a Magna Matic sharpener I read the directions and I still dont understand if I'm properly sharpening my blades correctly. I usually paid a shop to do them so I have little or no experience. Oh, by the way, I did read the manual. Thanks in advance.

2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Call customer service. Great company, Magna-Matic. Once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Makes blade maintenance a breeze.

3. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

As long as you are getting a sharpened blade to a similar angle as a new blade, and the grass looks good when you cut it, you are doing it right.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I totally agree. Each stroke, pulling toward you, should only take about 2 seconds and be repeated however many times necessary. This keeps the blade from getting hot. Once the blade is balanced, count your strokes on each side (i.e. 6 on one side, then 6 on the other). I hope this helps, and good luck with it. Also, do NOT hesitate to tell people that you do this. You can make up ALOT of the cost of the grinder doing this for other people. I STILL have people from the neighborhood bringing their blades to me for sharpening. If you think ahead, you can offer this as a service in early spring. Mr. Jones is ALWAYS wanting to have nice sharp blades - to help his lawn look better than Mr. Miller's next door.

5. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. Once I get the hang of it I will offer it as a extra service to LCO also. Thank again.

6. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

to get the "proper" blade angle what i do is i take a brand new blade and i set it on the blade platform with the grinder turned off and i lower the wheel (or raise it) to where it sits perfectly on the factory blade. after a few blades you'll get used to judging the proper angle without even thinking bout it.

7. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

The problem I had was the blades were getting nicks and dents in the cutting area. Since then I have raised the grinding wheel a hair and still get the great cut but dont have nicks.