1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bought a new FS 110 Today!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SproulsLawnCare, Jun 12, 2006.

1. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I have been having trouble with my elbow hurting using a Stihl with the bicycle bars and I also felt a little under powered with the FS 55. I have been thinking about getting a larger trimmer with the 'D' handle in hopes that it would help. I got lucky today and picked up a Stihl FS 110 for $250. If all of Stihl's 4-mix stuff is like this thing, I'm sold. I liked Stihl products before, but this thing is much better to me! I'm looking forward to going from the 420 back pack blower to the 600.
  2. longpointlandscape

longpointlandscape LawnSite Member

I agree with your opinion on the FS 110. I've had the bike handle version for about a month and I love it. I will admit I need a smaller trimmer to go with it(I think I am scaring my little old ladies with it;) . My only complaint with it is that I can't seem to keep line in it, but I think its moremy fault for buying the cheapy line. Best of luck to you.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Is that a typo? You bought a new fs110 for 250...im moving.
  4. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I did get a deal on it. It was bought by someone else who wanted to use it with a brush blade. Since you aren't supposed to use the blade unless you have the bicycle bars, he brought it back to the shop. It was considered used (he apparently tried it a little). Brand new price was $389.00 I believe. I couldn't pass it up.
  5. I've had mine for over a year and I'm very pleaed with it. I even got the hedge trimmer & chainsaw attachment for it.

Stihl equipment seem to do better on synthetic oil. Either Optimol or Amsoil like I get.
    Plug don't foul. I can start my fs110 with one pull. (sometimes)

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Km and am pleased with starting and torque, but man is that thing heavey. Also with the 110 or other 4 mix it is recomended that you use a syntetic mix that cost about twice the amount of the regular stihl mix. Making me wish that I could still get the 85

7. Just get the chainsaw & hedge trimmer attachments. After a day or so working with that thing over your head it'll seem light when you're just trimming with it.

Amsoil advertises it's competitively priced if you mix it correctly. Now if you go getting generous that's your fault.
    I'd recommend synthetic for ALL Stihl products. They tend to gum up with the regular stuff. If it cost extra for oil you'll save on trips to the dealer.

I've had a FS 85 and a FS110 side by side in the back of the truck for a year. I'd grab one, then the other. I swear I couldn't feel any difference in weight. What is it? A pound? I couldn't notice the difference. But I keep trimming to a minimum.
    You say you can't get the FS85 any more? Mine was stolen. But I don't really miss it.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

1 pound is a big diff in the weight of a weedeater. get husky or robin if you want a light weight
  9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Where does it say to use synthetic oils for stihl products? I have been using the regular stihl mix stuff... Maybe that is why it carboned up?

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, grab you a br600 blower and you will be just as happy. I just purchased a new fs110 also and a br600. I am estatic with both and i also have an older fs85 that i thought was the **** until i used my new fs110. Purchase quality and you will never be sad