1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bought a new to me walk behind

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Phelps_lawncare, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Phelps_lawncare

Phelps_lawncare LawnSite Member

well guys went out last week and started up the zrt to get up some leaves and broke a rod in the 30hp kawasaki. mower had 4096 hrs on it. weighed my options and the block is cracked and i cant afford to replace the whole engine right now so the guy at the local dealer bought it off of me for $1,500.00. so i went out and bought a 52'' w/17hp kawasaki, bobcat walk behind.guy just replaced drive belts, all the fluids, plug, has a brand new set of gator blades and regular blades with it. comes with a sulkie also. has 870 hrs on it.

52'' walk behind.jpg

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Dam you going to miss that ztr:blob2:

3. Phelps_lawncare

Edit on the mower its a 54''.

4. Phelps_lawncare

i know but i had to go with what the funds allowed and i have a few accounts to take care of as soon as the rain drys up and for the price i couldnt pass it up.

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

That sucks man, but at least you got a mower! Looks nice though

6. Phelps_lawncare

it does suck but oh well its part of life. its pretty sweet. the guy was about to lose his car and had to make the payments so i got it for a bit over 6 franklins :)

7. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Wow!! That's dirt cheap

8. Phelps_lawncare

i thought so too! he had 5 other people coming and he told us all first one there with cash gets it. so i hauled it to his house. didnt have to talk him down or anything he had it listed for that price. it does need a new deck belt but i got one on order and it will be here tomarrow. cost me $18 and shes good to go!

9. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Im sorry man but i hate to tell you i think you got the short end of the stick here. You had a hydro Z with a bad engine, open that baby up and fix or just buy a new engine. Now you have a 10 year old belt drive walk..... See if you can get your mower back.

10. Phelps_lawncare

to each there own but i disagree. i had a hydro z with over 4000 hrs on it with a blown engine.

i bought a belt drive walk behind with 2'' bigger deck, 870 hrs on it and needed a $18 part

lets do some math

replace blown engine with new one because block is cracked -
    30hp kawasaki - $3,285.00
    2 weeks down time waiting for engine - $1250.00 ( three accounts i had lined up next week)

Total - Negative $4,535.00

54'' walk-behind - $650.00
    belt - $18
    to do three accounts after expenses taken out - $950.00
    cash left over form selling zrt - $850.00

total - Positive $1,782.00

i completly disagree. im making money selling the zrt as i would be in the hole if i kept it!!! thanks for the concern though!