Bought a new TT today and Bob-Cat comparison.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pennington Lawncare, Jun 15, 2014.

1. My 09 Bob-Cat Predator Pro had it's Generac 33 throw a rod yesterday so I bought a new mower today. While it's fresh on my mind I'm going to give a comparison of the 2 mowers and I had never ridden or cut on a TT until today.

First off the most noticeable difference is the Michigan suspension seat on the Turf Tiger. My Predator Pro also came with a Michigan suspension seat but, the one on the new Turf Tiger is far superior to the one on my Predator Pro.

Second most noticeable thing and improvement over the Predator Pro is the weight bias on the Turf Tiger. The TT has way better traction on the rear tires and I had even gone so far as to add a 25 lbs. weight to the rear of my PP last year to try and help it's lack of traction problem.

The handling of the TT is more precise but, more sluggish at the same time. I would say that is due to the springs built into the TT that want to return the levers to the neutral position if you let go. The PP has no such springs and essentially act as a cruise control once you have them where you want them they stay. That also makes the PP feel a lot less sluggish and quicker and it is a quicker mower by probably 2 mph over the TT.

The levers on the brand new TT pitifully couldn't be set exactly the same. This is pitiful quality control on Scag's part to have the levers not adjustable to where they are the same. The mechanic at the Scag dealership said some are much worse than mine as he went through the checklist on my new TT. I would have never thought that something like this could have been possible.

The front left tire of the Scag is not located toward the center of the mower as much as the Bob-Cat which means that the Scag doesn't trim up next to obstacles as easily as the Bob-Cat. It's not that big of a deal but, it was noticeable. Another thing that was a little strange is that the front right tire of the TT sticks a bit further forward than the front left tire. I have a timber across the front of my trailer and it acts as a stop when I pull my mower onto the trailer. Having the front right tire only making contact with the timber is a little strange. I do like the no-flat tires on the Scag and wish I had those on the Bob-Cat. Does everyone else's TT front right tire stick out further?

The 26.5 HP Kohler EFI on my new Scag seems to have plenty of power and I was a little worried about it being a bit on the wimpy side since I was used to 33 HP.

Now onto cut quality, everyone knows that Scag's Velocity Plus deck is top notch and the wide discharge chute spreads the clippings out very evenly which makes them less noticeable. The Bob-Cat's cut quality in my humble opinion is just as good as the Scag but, it's discharge chute size is smaller and does not spread the clippings out as well. It kinda shoots out a concentrated stream onto the 2 swaths you just cut and those clippings reduce the noticeable striping. Actually, my Bob-Cat with a conveyor belt attached to the rear of the deck lays down a better stripe than my new TT with no striping kit. I had kinda hoped that the TT would lay down better stripes with no help but, that is not the case with this new mower. Maybe I need to check the deck pitch on the new Turf Tiger to see if that will help.
    The Predator Pro comes with a removable mulching baffle plate in front of the blades but, you have to pay extra for that mulching baffle for a Scag.

Controls and other stuff... The cup holder on the TT looks like an after thought and why aren't all the gauges on the right side away from the trimming side of the deck? Plus your hydraulic tank is on the left begging to get rubbed by the limbs of the shrubs you are trimming around. Then there's the elusive hour meter on the TT which I couldn't even find on my own since it's hidden on the right side near the rear of the mower. Why would anyone put it there? Why isn't it on the right side where the throttle and key and PTO should be located? Plus, where's the cigarette lighter/power plug on the TT? Bob-Cat came with one years ago and TT still doesn't have one?

Foot operated deck raising. The gold bar thing just isn't positioned right to me on the TT. It's like you really have to raise your knee back and up to get your foot on the thing and then fully straighten your leg to get the deck up. I know there are adjustment holes for that gold bar foot thing but, crap would a pedal of some sort not be better and placed better? Plus, the deck of the TT was raising up as I would go over bumps as if the spring assist were assisting too much but, if it assisted any less the deck would be heavy as heck for one leg. Plus the deck height adjustment is a bit complicated on the TT. I understand it but, dang it's like a math game to figure out which hole it needs to go in to get the desired height. The Bob-Cat's system is much better and so is the deck raising pedal even if it is on the left.

I know that there are some things that I am forgetting in this comparison but, there's one thing about it. Scag still has plenty of improvements left to make on an old design.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Interesting review for sure. Most people love the TT, including me. I don't own one, but came within minutes of buying one before I bought my JD. The TT does have some odd things on it, but they are minor to me. I had plenty of leg room, which is something I didn't on either the Tiger Cat or the Cheetah. The deck was a snap for me to lift, and comfortable to me reach wise. The hour meter being where it is is kind of odd to me as well. I kinda like the gauges on the left since that is the direction your head is turned most often. I never get that close to bushes or shrubs for it to be a concern. I don't recall the right caster being farther out than the left, and i'm pretty sure I would have noticed that since I am really picky about little things like that.

Why didn't you get another PP with the new "wave" front baffle?

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

yea I'm really curious why you even bought this TT. It sounds like you didn't like several things about it before you signed for it and now like it even less after driving for a day.

Levers not matching/adjustable and the front casters not being evenÂ…I would take it back to the dealer right away. Those things need some eyeballing and explanation for sure!

Im alos curious why you didn't just get a new engine for the bob cat, would have ben a lot cheaper?

4. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be curious as to why you bought it too . You seem to not like the creature comforts of the tt. Maybe it becasue you are not use to them yet. Dont know if you read the operators manual yet but a lot of things that you made observations about are adjustable, such as the deck lift foot peg.

5. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion Scag is the better mower. The right tire on all Scags is further forward so you get a close turn radius. My levers are within 1" of being the same and I know I could get them even with a little adjustment but it doesn't bother me. I totally agree with the other posters on why you didn't stay with Bobcat or at least put a new engine on it (under $2000.00). Maybe that dealer is not the best!

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

When a review complains about a 12 volt plug and the cup holder you lose a bit of credablity. Cup holder was a add on to keep people happy because it was becoming standard on other mowers. I have found nobody uses it on my crews. 12 volt plug, why? For music? Plan ahead and keep it charged before mowing.

Levers are most likely the mechanic being lazy as if you understand how they adjust it just takes time to get it right.

Yes right wheel is out slightly further. The deck on the discharge side is out slightly further out which is the reason.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Great review very honest (rare after already purchased). I disregard all that djagush says pertaining to Scag. I believe he secretaly owns the Scag company and just posts on here for fun.

8. tundraman

tundraman LawnSite Senior Member

Good review. No perfect mower out there, they all have strengths and weaknesses. I am sure after you use it a while you will like it and get used to the hour meter on the side of the machine.

9. mpkav

mpkav LawnSite Member

I just bought a 61" Tiger Cat. I also have the complaint about the foot pedal for the deck. On my Wildcat I could raise the handles up which allowed for more room to raise you knee. I can't do that on the Tiger Cat. If I want to raise the deck I have to lift up in the seat and turn my leg kind of sideways to raise the deck as I'm moving. The only other way is to stop and open the handles. Other than that I love the Tiger cat. Laid a great stripe on the first cut!!
    [​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Also think the left side controls on the TT are BS. I would never buy a rider scag but I love my V-Ride! I just wish scag would get with the ergo s of toro and the rest of them.
    Posted via Mobile Device