Bought a used mower, neighbors complaining

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DrGreenThumb, Apr 18, 2008.

1. DrGreenThumb

DrGreenThumb LawnSite Member

So, I bought a 36 inch Bunton mower it have a 12.5 Kawi, I had it running for a few today to see how it was doing and I had a neighbor of my mothers complain that the mower smelt like toxic fumes. I dont want to get anyone sick but what the hell. I mean this guy is not one of my accounts and I really could not tell if he was joking with me or not. I mean I know the mower and motor both are old, is this somthing that I should worry about?? I can't smell it at all.

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Mabye they are one one of those people who thinks all emmisions smell toxic. If you can't smell anything, and the mower weems to be running O.K., I think you are fine.

If, however, you get amother complaint from a different person, then I would look into it.

3. DrGreenThumb

I have one customers who is a pain in the butt if anyone would complain she would be one of them. Oh yeah and i just went in the garage and yeah it smells like a freaking mower!!! I know as a fact that the larger mowers do have a bit more of a "gassy" smell if you will.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

A 12.5hp Kawi not only smells good, but it is music to the ears, a fine sounding motor.

5. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

He might be on medication that inhances his sense of smell. Or Pregnant:walking:

6. Turfrific

Turfrific LawnSite Member

move away.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

better yet, tell them to move away. LOL

8. DrGreenThumb

My parents have lived at this house for almost 20 years this a$$, just moved in last year... Im thinking that it may be some degreaser that I sprayed, The mower was resently painted so it may have smelt a little bit more then normal.

It looks like from what im reading these engines do smell a little bit.

9. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

mow his yard and see if the smell goes away.

10. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

wait until you get another complaint then worry