Bought Aerator, Now What???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by steve45, Feb 23, 2007.

1. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a new Aerator. Our climate is very dry and our soil is very compacted. I'm sure the aerator will help.

I plan to mark all my sprinkler heads, as well as the underground electric fence wire. My question is, how many passes are required with this thing? It's a spike aerator. One pass? Several passes? Differrent directions?

Thanks!

2. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

A spike type aerator won't relieve the compaction as good as a coring type. What you should do is water the grass really well the day before so the soil will be soft. As long as you're not tearing up the turf, you really can't over do it. I'd make one pass over the entire yard and then another at 90 degrees to the first. You might want to apply a preemergent herbicide when you're done.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

mojob is correct you can put your fertilize down after aeration and some weed control if needed. If you have a thick turf you won't need weed control. I would put on compost over the entire yard after aeration.

4. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks! I looked at a core-type aerator, but didn't think it looked strong enough to penetrate our dirt. You've seen photos of dirt so dry it was cracking and peeling? That's our backyard. I'll water it before aerating.