1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bought an Allis Chalmers Big Ten today

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Smalltimer1, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I went today and bought a 60's vintage Allis Chalmers Big Ten Garden Tractor, it came with a excellent 42" mowing deck, a 36" rotary snow plow in great condition, and a decent 42" snow blade as well as matching wheel weights.

I know you folks want pics, so I'll get them tomorrow and post them.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You bought a simplicity. Thats who made those AC garden tractors. Give us more info. Does it have an Onan engine or a Kohler? Run good? What did you give for it? Do you plan on reselling it for a higher price?
  3. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

we have 6 of them most of them still run my dad has had them forever we have snow blowers and drirt blades and front mount weed cutters and tillers they are built well all of ours have briggs in them i hve the parts books somwhere i had to rebuild the rear end in one 2 years ago we can still get parts for themat a local ag dealer
  4. Smalltimer1

Yes it is the equivalent of a Simplicity Landlord 101. I believe my Big Ten is a 1965 model.

I just spent 3 hours playing around with the front blade on it, smoothed off the ruts my father made with his truck this morning in the yard, and smoothed some rough spots in the yard. Ran great, not a lick of trouble. I got it all for about $500.

It has a cast iron Briggs and Stratton 10hp horizontal shaft engine.

I don't know if I'll be reselling it any time soon, as long as I have a use for it I reckon I'll keep it unless I get an offer that I can't refuse. I am going to put new tires on the rear this week (hopefully ag treads), and also a new battery.

5. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

Can you operate the front blade and the rear tiller at the same time?
    I have a 1966 Bolens that I can do that with but would like to get away from the Manual lift.
  6. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

Can you use the front blade and the tiller at the same time.?
    Are the implements manual or hydro. lift?
  7. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

no you cant use them at the same time and all of ours are manual lifts,one of them is an big 12 and we have a dual kit for it so we can run dual tires on the back i used to rake hay with it my dads idea to keep me busy when i was a kid we pulled a jhon deere 9 foot hay rake i used to rake 10 acers at once we also have a rear cultivator for it and a cyicle mower and we have harrow and rock rakes al sorts of stuff .if you put tire chains on and put a rod in the rear lift and slide on weights it will move snow great
  8. Smalltimer1

No the lift operates as a single unit, when you push the lever forward it will push anything on the front down, pull anything in the middle up, and lift on the rear.

It is a manual lift, if I remember correctly hydro-lift wasn't offered until the late 60's on the B-112 and HB-112. I don't know much about the AC stuff, but I can tell you almost anything about JD Garden Tractors. The Big Ten was only made during 1965. It was known as the B-10 in 1964, Big Ten in 1965, and once again the B-10 in 1966. There was no Big Twelve, but there was a B-12.
  9. jjsummers

jjsummers LawnSite Member

I got it for a steal. It is a 1962 original owner always indoors and well maintained. I would like to know everything to keep it for another 40 years. I don't have a clue how to operate any of it and would like to find a tiller.

John Summers
    Fonda, IA