Bought an Isuzu NPR...now I have questions!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ToroLandscaper, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I found a 1995 Isuzu NPR (Turbo Diesel)

I have a few questions because it did not include an owners manual although I just ordered one, it wont be here for a couple days.

My first question is what do I really need to watch out for on these trucks? Is there anything that I need to pay very close attention to? Also I have not ever owned a diesel engine before so the whole diesel thing is completely new to me.

My second question is there is a button that lights up when you push up on the lever that controls the windshield wipers, what is this?

And last but not least there is a button located on the dash that you push and it shows a transmission symbol..maybe, what is this?

Guys im sorry these questions are so vague, but this is brand new stuff to me lol

Thanks for the help!

2. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

When you pull up on the wiper lever, that activates the exhaust brake. The light on the dash has to be on for it to be activated. And "IF" everything is working right, the brake will come on while you are driving along, you let off on the gas pedal. You will hear a "whooshing"sound. That tells you it is working. Not sure about the tranny light. Maybe a overdrive activation light. If it is an automatic, be careful with it. Very fragile. Do a search here and you will find lots of information. Change all of your filters, belts, hoses before you put it to work. Good luck!

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Main thing with a diesel is do not over heat the engin, run it low on oil, or run out of fuel. Be sure to keep your emergency brake adjusted so it will stop the truck if needed. I lost my vacum pump the other day, brakes don't work with out vacum. My hand brake was not tight enough to do much good either. Glad I was not coming down a hill.

4. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

This may be a no brainer, but make sure your crew knows to use diesel not gas.
    Best thing to do is mark the tank or cap.
    Check your fluid levels regularly

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Have the valves adjusted, you will suck a valve if they are too far out !!!!!!!!!!

6. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

What exactly does the exhaust brake do?

7. bwa

bwa LawnSite Member

How much did you have to pay for a 95 npr and how many miles are on it? do you have any pics?

8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

ours chews up front tires so watch yours

9. gene gls

It has 2 uses. In the winter you flip a switch and the hot exhaust goes back through the engin to warm it up faster. When driving down the road you take your foot off the throttle and a switch kicks in to redirect the exaust to help slow the truck down. Saves on the brakes if you not a speedster.

10. gene gls

You must have a problem with your front end or you do a lot of sharp turns. Mine wear even but with the weight of the engin and all out front you wont get the same mileage as other trucks.