Bought another Grasshopper midmount this week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, May 17, 2002.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bought my second Grasshopper midmount this week. Last year I got the big 428D with the 28hp Kobota diesel and a 72" deck. This time I only needed a 60" machine, so I bought a 321D with the 21hp Kubota diesel and a 61" deck. I have had it in some tough conditions these last two days, and it plows right through the tough cutting and leaves a nice looking cut.
    I can not say enough about how well my dealer and the Grasshopper factory rep. treated me on this purchase. I had planned on getting a demo on one of these later this summer, but when the Kohler on my new Chopper developed an apetite for large amounts of oil last Sat., this became an emergency purchase. The dealer was closed Sat. by the time I found myself in need of another ZTR ASAP. I called the Grasshopper rep. at his home and left a message about my emergency situation. He returned my call Sunday and I told him I needed to see one of the 321D machines perform on a specific property to see if it would work on the steep slopes there. The local dealer did not have one in stock. He said he would locate one on Monday, contact the dealer and have it avail. for me by Wed. morning. The rep. got a machine and delivered it to the dealer as promised. This involved a 300 mile round trip on his part. They brought the machine to my jobsite and I tried it out. It worked great there, so I bought it on the spot. However, the dealer asked if he could first take it to his shop and check it out to make sure deck pitch was right and there were no leaks or anything. I picked it up later in the day and have been working it hard since then. It is nice to once again have a dealer and factory rep who treat me as a valued customer and will go out of their way to help me out.:D

2. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

I had inquired about the Grasshopper last year, the specs impressed me. Unfortunately, there's not a dealer located within a reasonable distance from me, the one that's 45 minutes away shares a corner of an auto dealership. No salesman dedicated to the machine and no parts in stock. Glad to hear of your success with yours.

3. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

glad to hear about your grasshopper. have 3 725's with 72" decks. next week taking delivery on a 932 with the new high performance deck. demo'd it from the factory rep recently and was really impressed. not much talk here about the grasshopper as it seems it is a "regional" unit. unit we traded has 2000 hrs and has not had any major repairs although the pumps were needing to be replaced.
    good luck with your new machine. :D

4. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

My father is the local dealer for Grasshopper in our area and has been for at least 12 years. He has had the same Grasshopper rep ever since he started handling them and I can say without a doubt he is the best rep out there. He is definitely not afraid to travel hundreds of miles to deliver whatever the customer needs. Everytime I see him, I ask how many miles is on his truck - he regularly puts 100K each year on the truck and trailer (Powerstroke Ford). There has been countless number of times where he helps out my father - putting together equipment, making sales calls, traveling far to get a particuliar deck or mower unit from another dealer, etc.. Although there are many well-built pieces of equipment on the marketplace, I would definitely recommend Grasshopper to anyone who has a dealer in their area (along with a Shindaiwa stringtrimmer - I still personally use the first demo Shindaiwa we started using every week 18 years ago!).