Bought another truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Dirty Water, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Bought another company truck, Not the I wanted, but this will be a great service truck for myself.

98 Chevy 2500 (Not the HD, so it has the 6 lug rear and the 302) with a Stahl service body and a Tommy Gate hydraulic lift gate (getting pitched, anyone want to buy it?)

Only 33k miles.

Its going to the paint shop next week to painted in the company color (Forest Green) and have the logo applied.

Then we fit it with a pipe rack and stock it up.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad its not a HD 3/4 because you load that truck up she is going to be sucking wind especially with a poor 305 under the hood.

Probably going to want to put some decent traction tires or mud tires on the back being a 2wd truck. It will probably be heavy enough but you want something that is going to sling the mud.

You would want to buy a set of timbrens for the back too to keep the bumper creating a spark show driving down the road :laugh:

Oh well if the truck doesn't work out take the service body off and put it on a heavier truck.
  3. Dirty Water

Its only going to see pavement, its for irrigation service.
  4. Gravel Rat

Then it should be okay I thought maybe it was going to be used for a mechanics truck. I know a few guys with service bodies that are loaded up the truck can barely move :laugh:
  5. Dirty Water

Forgot to mention, $11k.

Good deal or not?
  6. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Alright, but I would've rather spent 11K on a 4x4, diesel, 3/4-1ton truck with more miles say like 50K-80K.
  7. Gravel Rat

Thats probably most I would have paid for it if the truck was a 4x4 as Jazak mentioned it would have been worth it. I can't figure out why somebody would buy a light duty 3/4 ton and put a service body on it.

For what you want to do with it the truck will last for a long time the orange cancer will most likely take over. If you got employees that are rough with vehicals it might shorten the life of it. You never know they might try do a brake stand to see if they can warm the tires up :laugh:

You might want to take the truck the way it is to a scale and see how much payload is left. That service body probably eats up a good chunk of payload. One concern would be " if " the truck ever got in a accident and the DOT finds the truck was over its gvw opps the company is in trouble.

For your pipe racks you may want to build them out of aluminum and remove any excess fat on the truck you don't need.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Come on guys that truck will be fine...a light 2500 with a service body and some tools, you gotta be kinding me. The truck is plenty for what you want to do with it.

I do however think you paid too much. I would pay MAYBE $6,500
  9. Dirty Water

6500 for a truck with 33k miles on it?

You can't get a half ton with that kind of miles on it for under 10k here.

GR, The truck is going to have tools and pipe on it, nothing heavy, no compressors or welders.

The most it will tow is a tandem trailer with a 6k lbs trencher on it, and we have stronger trucks to do most of the towing. This will be a strictly service rig. Milage without sacrificing the storage space for parts was important.
  10. Gravel Rat

You would never find a truck with that kind of lower mileage again so its probably good you bought the truck. Atleast the truck has a engine you can still work on and easy to fix the transmission is easy to fix.

I imagine the truck has been forsale for awhile as it is a light duty 3/4 it is a 2wd truck and its a gas pot. I have a feeling the truck must have belonged to the gov't at one time.

One thing about Chevys they make motor swapping easy if the 305 doesn't have enough power you could always buy a 8.0L crate motor and stick it under the hood :laugh: