1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bought it on Ebay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all degree, Jun 14, 2004.

1. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a back up backpack blower off ebay. Its a brand new EB630 in the box. Got it for 375 plus 29 shipping.

How did I do?

Think the dealer here is 499 plus tax
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You answered your own question. Would you rather have paid 499 or $404? I think you posted it to brag.

3. all degree

I posted it to let people know that they could get decent deals on ebay and I do not know what others are paying at their dealers or online. It just seemed cheap.

Their is another one up for bid that ends in two days or so...

Sorry didnt mean to brag just wanted to see if anyone had found cheaper??
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

EB630 for $499 is a rip off...I can get the 750 for the same amount or less!
  5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you recieve the merchandise yet?

If not let us know after you recieve it.
  6. all degree

Rod there is no Shindaiwa 750 are you talking Red Max or something?
  7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Lately I've started to think differently about where I buy my equipment and for what reason. Allow me to elaborate. Even though you purchased an exellent piece of equipment at a good price, if you have problems, who are you going to take it to? If you do have a servicing dealer nearby, are you going to get "drop everything" service from them? A loaner, assuming you dont have a backup.

What I am getting at is that the dealer near my home is a tad higher than some others around here and quite a bit higher than internet vendors, but when I pull in with a piece of equipment that I bought from him, the wrenches hit the floor as the mechanics rush out to my trailer to try and fix what ever the problem is right then and there. I like this type of service, so giving him a little extra over-head to accomodate me seems like peanuts.
  8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I used to feel that way, but recently, I get treated like a piece of garbage where ever I go. forget about dropping wrenches, I'm lucky if they look up and blink. Went in a few weeks ago to price some equipment, had to leave cuz I couldn't get any help on pricing!! I had money on me, and left empty handed. Lack of service goes for every thing around here........ even the nurseries. (I'm supposed to drag a truck load of plants to register so the 15 year old girl behind the counter can scan them with her computer doo hickey??)

if customer service exists, its worth the extra money. But I would also buy off ebay, just gotta watch for the scams.
  9. all degree

I agree with FGA. I am not a big guy and do most of my maint on my own. In fact I have not used the dealer for any major repair in two years. I have bought a few thousand $$ worth of stuff and its not enough to get the service you talk about. I will tell him what I paid and why.

I may even sell it for $50 more than I paid b/c I really do not even need it. Just could not resist the dea
  10. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

This week I went to my dealer with $2000. in my pocket to buy something I need. While I was asking questions about the equipment he turned his back to me to answer the phone. He goes to the other room where the computer is then never returned. Just left me standing there. I don't think I need to tell him I'm not coming back. I don't care if I have to drive 100 mi. one way, I'll get what I need some place.