Bought my first Walker yesterday!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I was too tired to post last night, I must have mowed till 8:30, and I started my day at about 6:00 am.

I got a 2002 Walker with the 26 hp Kohler EFI and a 48" GHS deck. I did get the heavy duty gearbox on the deck and the light kit.

Thanks to all the guys who encouraged me to go for it. I was scared of the price, but after only 2 hours on the machine, I can tell I'll be using this machine more than every other mower I own. All I can say is the Walker is better than what people say it is. The cut is fantastic, it vacuums up pine needles right off concrete, pine cones out of thick grass, awesome machine. :D The 9.5 bushel hopper takes a LONG time to fill, and it is PACKED like a bale of hay when full. I thought that I'd be emptying it alot more than I had to. You really can see both sides of the deck very well, and being right on the center of the machine gives me a sense of command. I can see, I'm low in the saddle, I'm in charge. It's a good feeling. The heavy duty gearboxes are great, they have better bearings, and are a bit sturdier than stock. They use up less HP to turn the gears thus getting more HP to the blades. Really have a different sound, It sounds like a turbine on a jet spooling up. I'm happy with the lights too, they are really bright, I mowed in the dark, and I could see perfectly. They would be nice for safety on medians and next to roads in the early morning and at dusk.

With 26hp and brand new blades, I cut through thick St. Augustine and pine needles/cones at full speed, no bogging at all. And it cleaned like a Kirby vacuum. Very happy.

I am more happy with this purchase than any other purchase for this business I've made. Thanks again to all the Walker guys for not hoarding such a great machine. If you do high end residential properties and need a groomed look you need a Walker.

2. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Felt same way when I bought my first. I was afraid my customers wouldn't let me switch from a 21"WB to a Walker. They loved the cut it gives and the way it vacuums. I want to try a 26hp. I have 20s, but I'm thinking of upgrading this fall.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am glad that you enjoy your new purchase. I have added a 52" mulching deck with mine, along with the tine dethatcher. You think your 48" sounds like a jet engine, you should hear the 52" kick in gear. I have been thinking about getting the lights added, but will wait until I feel there is more need for them (when business picks up). How much did they cost?

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

They were $84.00 installed, of course. They're worth it, if for nothing else, safety near roads. They are bright and you can mow in the dark and see great. I mowed till 8:30 last night :D

5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the new mower, GP. I hope you get many trouble free and productive hours out of it !!
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Congratulations on the new purchase. Remember to take care of the preventive maintenance and the machine will take care of you by giving you a great cut and years of problem free service. I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how everything goes with it as time passes.

7. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

Congrats Green! I hope you enjoy it for years.
  8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Right on man. I know that any body that tries one will like em.

As for the lights I figured that if it was dark enough to need lights it was past time to be home :drinkup: :D
  9. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

now you need a head lamp for trinning and bloeing to finish the job!
  10. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I got my frist walker about a month ago. I too was afraid of what customers would say about the machine on the lawn. I have heard nothing but compliments from them. There have been light coatings of leaves and debris on the lawns and when I am done between the stripes and the spotless sucking action it looks like I just did a detailed cleanup of their property which took no longer than just mowing it.