Bought new house with 4 acres of mowing... Need suggestions on what to buy?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by GosuPaintballer, Mar 30, 2010.

1. GosuPaintballer

GosuPaintballer LawnSite Member

My wife and myself just bought a new house. Will have just under 4 acres of grass to cut. I think i want to get some ZTC with about a 60 inch deck. Main problem i'm having is do i buy a commercial series or a home series mower? I may possibly try to mow a neighbor or two's grass as well if there up for paying me enough? My main concern is buying something that will last for many years to come and will be a good investment vs paying someone year after year to cut my grass. Suggestions on what to buy please???

2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not buy a goat???

3. shotgunshane

shotgunshane LawnSite Member

What is your budget and what dealers are close to you?

Most of the commercial mowers have similar, if not the same, parts like spindles, trans, engines etc. Just overall design and implementation is different. And all will last you decades as a homeowner with proper care, so dealer support should weigh heavily.

4 acres? I'd stay away from residential. They typically aren't made to take a beating and will cost you more in the long run.

4. GosuPaintballer

there are several dealers near me that carry several brands of mowers... i'll list the one's i know off the top of my head.. toro, grasshopper, scag, walker, john deere, gravely, arian, hustler, i know there's more but just can't think right now, lol.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. GosuPaintballer

Already asked for one and the wife said NO WAY! lol

6. GosuPaintballer

As far as my budget goes... i'm kinda looking at it this way, i want a mower that's gonna last me a long time, and the prices i'm seeing for a home owner ZTC are around 5 grand where the commercial ZTC's are around 7500 - 8000. But if paying that extra 3 grand is gonna get me another 5 - 10 or more years use out of the mower then i could see doing that, but if there both gonna last close to the same amount of time before having to buy a new one anyways, then i'd be better off with the home owner's edition and save that extra 3 grand!

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Buy a used commercial ztr with under 500 hours. Or buy a used tractor and pull behind rotary you'll find other uses for that. You will be able to find something well below 5k on CL in either the ZTR or Tractor.

8. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

9. JustDamon

JustDamon LawnSite Member

I was in the same boat as you and just recently purchased a Gravely zero turn 152XDZi. Wish I had done this years ago. With two young children time savings alone are worth it to me not to mention cut quality. I mow my yard and take care of two others for family (about 4.5 acres total). My yard is 1.5 acres and I now mow it in about 45 min where it took up to 2 hours before depending on how deep the grass was. Yard looks much better too. I paid $6700 otd and spent another $180 on ocdc. Money well spent for a mower that I'm sure will last me 20 yrs. if not more. Good luck with your decision.