1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bought some new walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MudslinginFX4, Dec 13, 2003.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well guys, I had to break down and do it. I just went out and bought 2 new Toro proline walkbehinds for a new crew I am adding on in the spring. I think I got a steal on these, let me know what you think... each of them are 52 inch cut 15hp kohler hydro walkbehinds, they have the t bar stearing. I was able to get them from my local dealer for $3200 each!!! They are 2001 models but still brand new and I get a full warranty from Toro, what do you think, a good deal or not? BTW.. they are both floating decks.
  2. greensideup

greensideup LawnSite Member

Price sounds pretty good. I use toro 37" walk behinds for my back yards. My guys love them. The only thing I dont like is a 52" deck with a 15HP. Way underpowered if you ask me. My 37" has a 15 kohler & I wouldn't want anything less. At the least I'd want a 17 HP twin or larger. SCOTT
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the horsepower issue... the only reason I bought them was because of the price. What I am going to do is take those 2 mowers and put one of those on each of my other trailers so I don't have 2 low hp engines on one trailer. All of my other walkbehinds are 17hp kawi. or 18hp honda engines. I don't plan on using a sulky one either one of the mowers.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

15 too weak. toro does not back thier products

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

15 kohler single cylinder
  6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say you got a pretty fair deal. Are they Electric start, Classic deck style or the newer style SFS Deck? I like the older style 52's because of the deck overhang for trimming. We have never had a problem with Toro's not backing up their products, I think a few people have just had bad luck (or something).
  7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

You can't even put the 21 in this group thinking it is comparable. even with the weak 15hp with the 52" deck the toro will cut more than the honda any day in half the time.(on open areas.)
    I own the honda hrc 216 and I only use it on 2000 or less with lots of objects in the way other wise I use way biger. Yes honda is a good machine no disrespect there but this kind of foolishness is for the off topic forum.
  9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

That IS pretty cheap! I paid $4000 for an '03 Toro Hydro 36".
  10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

What's that got to do with anything!!??:rolleyes: