Bought the F450 V10

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Terraformer, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I wanted to express my appreciation to everyone that provided input about this truck and Ford's V10. It really help me make an informed decision and caused me to do my homework. Bottom line is that everything work out to where I can loose. Here's why:

In my original thread "F450 V10 Question" I stated it was I 2001 when actually it's a 2002. Miles on the ODO are 22,727. I hadn't seen the truck on the road the past year and had forgot that it had Alcoa wheels on it. This may be a dumb point, but all I could remember is that the cab and dump were red and it was always clean whenever I saw it on the road. Since I'm not a fan of red trucks - no offense intended - I wasn't to interested. However, the shinny aluminum wheels make it all work. The 11 foot dump bed is a 9, because it is slighly used. The interior a 10. The overall exterior condition and appearance of the truck is 9.5 - would have been a 10 except for a golf ball size dent in the front bumper. When not on the road this truck was kept in a heated shop. Tires will need to be replaced within a year and new 225/70R19.5's will cost $2K. Truck is tight and it runs smooth and strong. The manual tranny and clutch operate smooth and tight.

Even though I wanted a diesel I couldn't pass this deal up. We agreed on a price that would allow me to do a Cummins conversion if the V10 pukes a plug or otherwise acts up.

Since the truck and frame are virtually rust free, I'm going to have the cab rust proofed and I'll POR-15 paint the frame and underside of the dump.
  2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Pipe line "right of way" maintinance contract with is currently selling off its Ford V10's for the Dodge Cummins diesels, in the 2500 and 3500 models. Sounds like a great deal to get into the Class 4 trucks, I sold my 02 F-350 7.3L powerstroke dually crew for a Dodge 2500 CTD with 19,250 miles love it, could not pass up the deal on my diesel. The cheaper price of gas will "numb the pain at the pump"
  3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Post some pics.......
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

When I put tires on the 03 F-450 I bought the Bridgestone Steer tires were 312.00 each and the bandag retread drives were around 240 each. You don't want to run sketchy tires especially the 225s if you have one explode it will take the fender off. Also if the truck has been sitting they will be a little square. Then if it has the original General tires get rid of them right away they are horrible.

With the V-10 I would check the spark plugs probalby replace them and torque them to the right spec's then do the other stuff like oil filters etc.

Good Luck with the truck it should do you good.
  5. Terraformer

I pick the truck up next week - had to transfer some bucks out of investment accounts. I'll take some pics and post them, if this damn Wisconsin weather ever settles down... snow, snow and more snow!

BTW - I know the guy I bought the truck from. He did all my cement work when I built my home. He knew his truck was clean, but he took the position that it was a 6 year old, used, work truck. A real stand-up honest guy.
  6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

How’s the fuel mileage on that truck.:waving:
  7. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good truck. You can prevent your truck from spitting a plug if you do some preventitive maintenance and follow these simple step's.

The site in the above link has a ton of info regarding V-10 Fords in case you have a question.

Also, I would like to reintroduce myself. It's been almost five years since I last posted here.
  8. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

hey joe what did you end up paying
  9. Terraformer

Good info... thanks!
  10. Terraformer

Don't know, because I haven't monitored it yet. However, the best I can expect, unloaded, at highway speeds is 10 - 12 and loaded 7 - 9. I got this information from several different Ford truck sites. Time will tell!