1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bought the Stihl BR600 today. I have a Red Max EBZ 8000. Heres what I think.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Nov 28, 2006.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the New BR 600 today. Dropped $500 after taxes. What do I think of it? I'm amazed by this machine so far. The fit and finish is very impressive. There's nothing out in the open to get snagged. Where there's a lot to get snagged on the Red Max. The gas lines are out in the open on the Red Max, as well as cables. There's nothing like that on the Stihl. The Stihl is more comfortable on your back. Its lighter and because its closer to your back it feels lighter then it is. I feel as though I bought a state of the art well engineered machine....so far.

I was final able to compare it directly with the Red Max 8000 on large piles of wet leafs. The Stihl dose better then the Red Max. I was blowing side by side with my helper and I was getting more more leafs moved then he was. I was using the Stihl BR 600. We switched blowers and now he was moving along faster then I was. The Stihl was better at getting leafs out of tight places such as a stone wall, or prickers.

I think an important difference in the two blowers is the nozzle outlet. The Stihl has a tapered outlet witch concentrates the air. The Red Max has a strait tube, so the air isn't as concentrated. Both blowers probably make the same amount of air. Today, the tapered nozzle of the Stihl was doing better then the Red Max 8000s wider outlet. I bet the 8000 would do better then the Stihl on dry leafs because of the wider nozzle outlet. But not by much.

The new BR600 even has that twist when you give it full throttle like the Red Max does. If the Stihl BR600 continues to run like it did today , then I feel it is a better buy then the Red Max 8000. iv had nothing but problem with my Red Max. The BR600 is brand new, so I may feel differently about the machine after it has some hours on it.

To all you Red Max guys, just remember its only my opinion. An opinion is like a rear-end. Every one has one and they all stink. :drinkup:

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I do use my 600 over the echo 750. I am going to get the 8000 for next fall to help with the bigger piles going up hill.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Couple of tricks I learned with the 4-cycler (other than I run 93 octane):

First thing of the day, start it choked. If you're quick, you should be able to turn the choke off without the machine cutting off... So long the machine doesn't stay turned off for too many hours, the next start is no choke (and in summer, always no choke).
    Sometimes that half-choke setting does it, takes some practice but they are 1-pullers.

4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto..always starts on the first or second pull..I switched from 89 to 93 octane..figured it couldn't hurt.

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Lawn mower, Keep us posted when you get some use on it.

6. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

These threads are starting to drive me nuts.

I've been running my echo 650 for a few years and have thought about buying a newer more powerful BP. I think I've read every thread on them over the last month(EBZ8510/EB8001/BR600)etc.

Just so confusing. I wish I could demo every model (well broken in also) to see the differences.

When will the madness end? My leaf season is over now so I'm guesing next year they're going to be new models to whine(I mean compare) about.

7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

It's driving me nuts also. I'm glad I'm in a area with no leaves to clean up. I'm sticking with the small blowers for now.

8. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

It's really simple the 600 is designed better, lighter and smoother than th RM 8000. The 8000 is a looooooooot more powerful. The Shindaiwa 8510 is as powerful as the 8000 but very new and not really tested yet. Yes I've owned all three.

9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

To say the Stihl 600 is as powerful as the RM 8000 is just plain silly.:hammerhead: It's a great blower but cannot move volume like the Redmax.

10. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I think everyone should own one of each:
    One power-full handheld:HS 85 (what I own)or equivalent

One all around medium weight BP for reg maintenance(Echo BP650 -mine)

One heavy duty/heavy weight blower for leaves only(still deciding on what to get)

One W/B blower 8 HP and up

My debate is over which is the best and biggest and baddest BP blower(EBZ8510/eb8001/BR600) available?