Bought used 36" TTHP-Need Help!!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by yaardvark, Apr 20, 2004.

1. yaardvark

yaardvark LawnSite Member

just picked up a 03 36" TTHP, and love it! Need a little help though-the first 5 hours or so, it cut fine, then I started getting what looked like an uneven cut, granted the lawns I have mowed this week w/it have been goat tracks, but the cut definitely was not good. After reading on this site (relentlessly since I discovered it) I bought sdome gator blades this a.m. When I went to take the old blades off, I discovered for the 1st time that it already had gators on it. But instead of being flat like the ones i bought today, they are curved with 4 cutting surfaces on the sharpened side of the blade. I sharpened them, put them back on, just went and cut and the cut still stinks. My question is--what type of blades work best on this mower? what is the diff. in the 2 sets of blades that I now have? And where can I get an owners manual for my new toy? Sorry for the long post--thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

yaardvark,

Are you side discharging or mulching?

My first thought if you side discharging would be to put on a set of factory notched airfoil blades and then let us know what the cut looks like. With out knowing for sure what type of blade youÂ’re using it's tough to determine what's going on. By using the notched airfoil as the standard it is more likely that we can determine what is going on with the deck.

My second thought is that you said it cut fine and then it not longer cut so well. I would suspect belt slippage. On a TTHP I would suspect the PTO belt first. There is an adjustment to this belt. It's a bit difficult to describe in an e-mail but you can feel free to give me a call at 800-667-5296 and I'll walk you through the adjustment. If you can locate the serial number tag (RH side on top of the engine deck) I can get you a set of manual sent out as well. With your serial number you can also download a copy of your manual from tech support section our website. Here's the link: http://www.exmark.com/TechSupport.htm

Thanks,

Terry

3. yaardvark

I am mulching, not sure who makes the blade currently on my mower, but it has the bent air foils like a gator blade,
    I looked up the manual w/the link you gave me. Is the PTO linkage with the turnbuckle the only way to adjust this belt? It was a little out of adjustment and got it where it supposed to be. I will try it tomorrow and may call you if need be. Thanks for your help.

4. eXmark

Yaardvark,

The turnbuckle is the only way to adjust the PTO belt. You may also want to grease the deck belt idler pivot as well.

I would also put a set of standard Exmark mulching blades on and make sure the underside of the deck is clean.

Thanks,

Terry

5. yaardvark

Terry, update on my dilemma, after your advice I:

1. Bought new exmark mulching blades and installed (little or no improvement to cut)
    2. Realized that the only part of the mulching kit that was installed on my mower was the side discharge block plate. (I was informed by the dealer I bought it from that it had the mulch kit, which if bout new was $250.00, obviously trying to "up" the value to get me to buy it) So i went to a diff. dealer and bought a mulch kit ($115) and installed it.
    3. Still having problems w/quality of cut, tonight I took the deck cover off, and looking back at the pulley that has the deck belt and brake atttached to it, is cocked to the right (from front of mower). It is not the pulley itself, but rather looks like the shaft or whatever goes through it. After looking closer, I noticed the there is really nothing connected to that side of the arm that goes between this pulley and the one above it (pto??) Is there an adjustment to level this back out?? In the parts manual it is called "sheave w/drum" what keeps this from bending?? it seems like engaging the blades over and over would cause it to become "cocked" like mine has.
    By the way, I did replace the blade belt, but haven't replaced the small one (pto?) Any help is much appreciated!!

6. yaardvark

any help? dealer says middle of next week before they can even look at it>

7. eXmark

Yaardvark,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I looked at the TTHP and what I believe is happening is the PTO engagement arm, the busing or the mounting pin is worn.

The PTO engagement arm mounts to the frame via a pin on the RH side of the engine deck. Brake drum, and clutching pully mount to this arm as it crosses the engine deck to the other side. On the LH side the arm connects to the PTO engagement linkage. If I am correct you should be able to move the arm up and down on the LH side indicating that the mounting pin at the pivot on the RH side is worn.

Give me a call at 1-800-667-5296 if you have any questions. I will however be out of the office most of the afternoon. I've I'm not here any of the guys in the service department can help you as well.

Thanks,

Terry

8. yaardvark

Terry,
    Replaced the entire engagement arm (the bearings were worn out in the old one to the extent that when I pulled the clutching pulley off, the ball bearings just fell out).
    Now I have a slightly different but I'm sure related problem, when I engage the PTO, the engine boggs down and eventually stalls out. The mower sounds much better when I engage the blades (there was a distinct sound before, which I'm almost positive was coming from the old pulley problem) but something is obviously overloading the engine. The PTO engagement arms were on the "softest" setting, so I moved them to the middle and then to "hardest" setting, still the engine stalled. I should add that before replacing the arm, the ECS controls were much harder the squeeze than they are now, even though they were previously set on softest setting. It now looks as though the pulley that connects directly to the rt side hydro trans. sits lower than the pulley that the belt goes to from there is. i.e. the belt goes up at an angle from rt hydro pulley to whatever pulley it wraps around from there. I hope all or at least some of this makes sense. Thanks for your help.

9. yaardvark

please move to top, thanks

10. eXmark

yaardvark,

Can you give me a call at 1-800-667-5296? Something is not adding up.

Thanks,

Terry