Boulder lighting help

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by STL Ponds and Waterfalls, Jul 31, 2011.

1. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

On my current project I was planning on using some Kichler LED 15733 spot lights to uplight some boulders. I'm new to the LED world and when I tested a light they are a lot more brighter than I want for this small area design. I also testd the newer under water light 15711 and they seem to be just a little to overpowering as well.

My original plan was (8) 15733 spots for 3 boulders and 3 pear trees with the last 2 spots for a waterfall, (2) 15711 for 2 more boulder. All the boulders are a 2x2x2 size average. (8) 6" wall cap lights all in a 40X30 backyard area. I'm afraid it's going to look like daylight with all these fixtures in a small area. What do you lighting pros think or suggest for the boulder lights? The look I was going for was just a small light to enhance the boulders from below and not to make them standout.

2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of area surrounds the boulders? (turf, mulch, gravel?)
    And where is this area in relationship to the rest of the project?
    It's hard to make suggestions without being able to see the area.
    I would think the 15733 would be too much light for 2x2x2 boulders if at the same time, they could light a pear tree.

3. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe path / spread fixtures with mini-LEDs by each boulder if the boulders are spaced far enough apart. Closer boulders = fewer fixtures.

4. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

The surrounding area will be pavers and grass. The boulders are acting as pillars at the end of some seatwalls. 3 of the boulders I can set the light in turf that's why I went with 15733 and 2 of the boulders will be in the middle of a paver section at the ends of a circle seatwall. For thos 2 I was going to use the 15711 core drilled and recessed into the pavers. I need a 1 watt LED in the same style as the 15711.

This is all in a paver patio area that is approx 40Wx30L each 15733 spotlight will be about 7-11 feet away from each other and the two 15711 will only be about 5 feet apart.

5. LLC RI

LLC RI LawnSite Member

A few pictures or a sketch would help. My thoughts/ concern is that you might have too much a hot spot with the fixtures you want to use. I'm wondering if you can use a small wash light - regular say copper moon or lightcraft ET wash, with an illumincare 2.4 watt g 4 bi pin.. for a softer, more diffused light.

If you do end up using the kichler led floods/spots, use the lowest wattage.. and use that shroud on it to eliminate any side glare.

6. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I like to downlight when I can. Sounds like you are working with smaller boulders though.

boulder lawn full.jpg

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

Yeah the boulders are small, and there isn't a way to downlight at all. A one watt puck type light would be the ticket.

8. LLC RI

LLC RI LawnSite Member

there ya go.. so try a cast puck light mounted on top of a 4x4 pt post... that is just slightly above grade. see how it looks first. I use that technique sometimes when I am lighting a dry riverbed type of setting.

9. emby

emby LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Posted via Mobile Device

10. emby

emby LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

http://www.vision3lighting.com/products/pathstep/12v-models/item/32-pa2-marker-light

I have seen these used with great results when illuminating boulders and stones.
    Not too sure if you can use a stake mount fixture for your project?

Ken
    Posted via Mobile Device