boulder step

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mdmowerman, Jan 23, 2008.

1. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

Im looking at a project that consists of 30+ boulder/steps, 3'X4' each, using PA field stone steppers or old colonial steppers. I was wondering what others would use as base material/base prep.
    any input would be great. thanks!!!!

2. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

When i do these kind of steps i excavate the whole area and use #57s to build off of all the way up its good for water drainage too. Heres a pic of a recent set of boulder stairs i did. theres more pics but i cant get them to upload. the total number of boulder steps on this job was like 15 took me like 2 1/2 days to complete.the one step near the top looks a little out of level in this pick i had to do some chisel work to get it right. Good luck

2007 work 110.jpg

3. mdmowerman

mdmowerman LawnSite Member
    from 20833

Anyone else????

4. csl

csl LawnSite Member

a lot of it depends on soil type, drainage, and how much use the homeowner is going to use it. when we set steps we try and get at least 6" of 3/4- crushed underneath we a diesel plate compaction. some people like to use concrete on the bottom and top steps. again, whats the soil type, clay is especially dangerous to set steps in. give us more info on the surroundings, etc.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

compaction compaction compaction, its just like anything else, any make sure you don't pitch them too much that people arn't comfortable walking on them

DSC_0227.jpg

6. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

When you do a stair boulder installation like this, do yo start with the top steps and work down? or bottom and work up?

7. patron

patron LawnSite Member

Your joking right I mean come on!

I think GOD would have a hard time doing them from the top down :)

8. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I mean I did kinda figure.. but hey... your sarcasm.. fantastic.. you seem to be a GREAT contributer to this board!!!

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm doing a set now in reverse, much harder but can be done

10. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

What type of situation forced you into that?