Boulder Walls

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Wiedmann, Jun 8, 2013.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

now never mind that the angle of the picture makes the boulders look nearly like a pile of rocks. But here's a shot of the equipment used. The excavator is a Cat 307C, with steel tracks, so what I'm saying is it's not a mini excavator. And just barely big enough to lift the boulders.

[​IMG]

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

What is the lifing cap of the 307?. Will it lift and set at full reach a 2000lb rock.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Sweet getaway house......
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

I have no idea, we rented that excavator.

5. mxridernorth

mxridernorth LawnSite Senior Member

DVS, for what you had to work with it's not bad. I'm guessing larger boulders are scarce in that region?

6. DVS Hardscaper

Hard to say. Not sure what constitutes "larger"!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. mxridernorth

I meant not so much little stuff. If you had larger boulders and a machine with a thumb, you could have constructed the wall in a lot less time.

8. DVS Hardscaper

Hmmm.....probably.

I'd guess 70% of that wall consisted of 1500 to 2000# boulders. Smaller ones used as fillers. The boulders here are extremely irregular shaped, which eats time due to stabilizing them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. mxridernorth

Fair enough. Living on what is colloquially known as "the rock", getting decent boulders isn't so difficult. That said, the quarry guys will still give you the crappiest, pyramid shaped rocks if you aren't watching them like a hawk.

10. DVS Hardscaper

I've seen some very square boulders here and there, but they're few and far between around here. The local university has a new wall built with huge square boulders, probably 3000# each. I've been meaning to take a picture.

Also - I think in this case a sling would be better for setting the boulders rather than a clamp. you need to be able to turn the boulders as you set them and need to be able to adjust their levelness, etc.