Bounced Check

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grass_cuttin_fool, Nov 29, 2005.

1. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ok , after 3 years of full time work and 7 years of part time mowing I recieved a check (in sufficient funds) that I deposited last week in the bank from a customer of mine. How would yall handle it? Call them and ask for another check or cash or money order? Or would you re-invoice the statement with a bounced check fee to the customer? Or choice #3 the Bobby G method , go to their house with a shovel and demand payment?Thanx for the advice
    wayne

2. rbriggs

rbriggs LawnSite Member

I would call the client and advise them the check was returned for NSF. Many times it is an oversight on the client's part. No malicious intention. We used a company called Electric Checks www.electricchecks.com. Although the company is located here in Mass, I believe they can collect throughout the nation.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not send them the check until the one they sent to replace it clears. I susally send a letter with the total amount due, including the returned check fee, and I have always gotten my money. It is usually an oversight on their part...

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Actually my bank kept the check and I just got a copy of it back but the paper its copied on says
    '' this is a legal copy of your check. You can use it the same way you would use the origanal check''

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

You caould call them and ask if it is ok to re-deposit the check and then also send them an invoice for the returned check fee...

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto^^^^^
    Also if the need should arise a check with ISF for over a certain amount of $$$ depending on state is a felony, a quik call to the local cops and they usually call the party and explain the law and you get your money the next day :)

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ide send them a letter with the amount on it with the returned check fee.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you can also call the bank from time to time and check if there's enoulf money in that account to cover this check.....

I had a situwation like this and it was an oversite on the customers part.

Ya can give it a couple of days " like I did " call the bank and if you dont get paied they when you return to cut again inform them that it bounced and see what they say.

They may tell ya it's covered now, but from calling the bank you know better.

9. rbriggs

rbriggs LawnSite Member

That's what Electric Checks does. They actually do the computerized checks for you until there is enough funds in the account. At that time, they deduct the amount owed to you and their fee. It costs the company NOTHING!
    We've had good luck with them. Only one or two checks that could not be collected on by them. Those are the ones we took to court. Working on three right now.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it (or a copy of) has been returned to you by your bank, that means it has ALREADY been put through a few times to see if it would clear. Contact th customer, inform them that there has been aa additional fee taken out of YOUR account (if there has), and collect from them. Like was said earlier, it usually IS just an oversight.