bounced check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HacMan91, Jul 17, 2004.

1. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Been in the business for 6 years now and just had my first bounced check. My checking account is showing a bounced check for $25 and a $5 fee to me from my bank. I cant find out what customer it is until Monday when the bank opens. I really dont have any policy for this since this is the first time its happened. Its just 25 bucks but its still irritating.
  2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd hit them with a $25 fee. That's pretty standard nowadays. I know they've already got zapped to the tune of $25 or better by their bank, but you're not responsible for their failure to properly maintain their checking account.

That hasn't happened to me yet, but I know good and well the day is coming. Just a question of when.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

For sure hit them with a fee (ours is $25) for the Returned Check, but also make sure that you check your State Law as all state's regulate how much you can charge for a returned check and in some states as in NC it also must be posted that you charge such a fee.
  4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

we get charged nothing but we chrage them up to 25 just for going after them to get our money back
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We have only had one bounced check, it was from a lady who we still have as a customer. Her employer didn't direct deposit her paycheck, she didn't know and bounced a bunch of checks that week. Since our credit union doesn't charge us anything, we of course didn't charge her anything, she was already having enough bad luck.........
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I've only had it happen to me once. My bank charges $30 per bounced check. That's what i charged her, she was pretty embarrassed. nice lady, been cutting her weekly for years.