bow bar for chainsaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by homerescue, Mar 24, 2004.

1. homerescue

homerescue LawnSite Member
    from wv

PLease has anyone seen, used, or know what a bow bar is for a chainsaw. Description best I can describe is looks like or shaped like a bow saw or sorta egg shaped, and hooks to the chainsaw powerhead just like a regular bar does, 14" wide at widest point and 18" long. Anybody know what their purpose is or have ever used one. Looks pretty interesting just wonder if its useable.

2. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

DON'T USE THEM

they are dangerous as hell, I used one once and almost ended up with a face full of chainsaw chain

[​IMG]

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am with Spoolin, even most arborists and tree workers fear them, and will not use them. I think it has value in brushy situations, but is not worth the hazzards.

Jay

4. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

That's why they don't make them any more.

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

It does no more than what a regular chain bar will do, they all cut. The bow bar like said is extremely dangerous, stay away.

6. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Just my 2 cents but I did see one person cutting w/ a bow saw and I have never been a machine cut through so much fallen timber in so little time....It was really impressive.....BUT.....On the flip side they
    are more dangerous.....I suppose you'll
    have to weigh productivity vs safety on this one.....Personally I'd rather not risk it.....Better safe that way sorry....

7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

They're so right about it being dangerous. With the increased surface area on the leading edge you have to deal with a lot of kick backs. If you want good production just make sure you have a sharp chain, and a saw that can handle a heavy load. I also like having the 20" bar on my Husky.

8. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

Looks to me like a band saw. Never used such a unit. I can see a use for it.

9. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

I was at a dealership down in Moultrie, GA about 4 years ago and they were bragging up this type of bar. The dealer even let me try one out back. He informed me that they have been outlawed due to safety reasons. I guess I didn't really see an advantage but I only ran it for maybe a minute. It might make cutting up a fallen tree easier because the tip is very effective. Instead of cutting from top to bottom you can cut side to side. So you wouldn't have to deal with blade pinching at all. They told me they were used and are still used quite a bit for cutting up junk wood for the paper mills down south.

mowingmachine

10. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

I have a buddy who has one on a big Stihl. After watching him use it to help me with cleanups after Hurricane Isabel, I would not touch one with a 32ft. pole. It was constantly kicking back,and this guy KNOWS how to use a chain saw!!!