Bowers outlawed?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boxoffire, Sep 25, 2004.

1. boxoffire

boxoffire LawnSite Member

Has anyone heard about their city/state considering outlawing the blowers (backpak varieties I think). I caught the tail end of a story on local news here in Raleigh, NC the other night and they were talking about the carbon monoxide it puts out, the excessive noise, and the fact that they blow everything all over the place and was a nuisance. Like I said I didn't catch the entire story, but what's up with that? I'm sure plenty of landscapers would NOT like that to come about. I mean doesn't everything else running on gas put out carbon monoxide, and if it's too loud the user should always be protecting theirself with ear muffs and goggles anyway, so seems like it's only hazardous to the ones using them. People inside shouldn't be complaining. Wished I had caught the whole story because think they said a higher court would have to make the final decision.
  2. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Some newsstations, particularily the ones here, sometimes have their stories that they present that evening on their website (if they have one, which I would think most of them do.) Just something that I thought of while reading.

Also along that line, go to Its a group of people who are opposed to any kind of loud noise, such as blowers, loud cars/cycles, etc.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Probably something to do with a noise ordinance. I have 1 neighborhood I cut that you have to be in by 11 am and out by 4pm so they can have peaceful evenings
  4. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

For what I paid for my Echo Blower I sure hope it's just talk.
  5. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I am from Fayetteville and I saw that too. I was hot after seeing that. Seems as though the news just tries to get uder everyones skin and really takes the story to the extreme.

Yes, they do produce a lot of carbon monoxide as they stated BUT they are not run long enough to make a great impact on the enviroment. They interviewed a man on the report that said "from what I know if you run a blower for 1 hour it like driving a car for 300 miles in carbon monoxide production". Well, I don't know about you but when my blower comes off the trailer at a job it may....and this is stretching it be run for 10 minutes. But if you were to take EVERY car on the road in one given day and compare the carbon monoxide output to that of all the blowers operated in that same day.....I honestly believe they would see that the problem does not lye with blowers it lyes with motorists. BUT the general public WILL NOT give up there right to be mobile so they have to find another area to place the blame to protect that right. HAVE YOU EVER NOTICED THE AMOUNT OF BLACK SMOKE FROM A DIESEL RIG? Hmmmmm.....wonder why they have never gone after that part of the polluters.

Don't worry about it. If they try to do something stupid such as this...they will rethink the idea as the conditions that they are used to living in start to decline. When properties are no longer maintained to the high standards and the drainage systems get blocked due to lack of removal of debris (especially during the leaf season - I know I will not rake all those yards so this will become a mounting problem) THEY WILL CHANGE THEIR MINDS!
  6. Mikethomsen

Mikethomsen LawnSite Member

7. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's in Chapel Hell, bunch of spoiled rich folks who don't know how it is to use your hands to make a living. I don't think Raleigh has gotten to that point yet. Heck, I live adjacent to WRAL's studio on Avent Ferry Rd.