1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bowie StrawBlowers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by muddstopper, Mar 23, 2004.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Was talking to the Bowie dealer about a new straw blower. I was looking at one of the tailgate mulchers. Dealer claims the blower will work for vaccuming up leaves and such and blow into a trailer. No big news here but then he told me that the machine had enough suction to suck mulch out of a trailer and blow into beds thru a hose. Now I may have been born at nite but it wasnt last nite. He didnt have any hose on hand so I couldnt try it out. Has anybody here had any experiences with the Bowie strawblower and are these claims true. I was just looking for a good straw blower but if this is true the possibilities for extra$$$ without additional equipement has me considering buying one.

2. Don't know about the Bowie, but I just bought a Finn B40, what a awsome machine.

3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

can it blow mulch from the back of a truck into beds?

i would tell him that I am very serious about buying the machine, but I will not consider it until he can back up his claims with a demonstration.

4. I doubt very seriously you are going to find one that does both, I know you can't with this one or my old one.

5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

"i would tell him that I am very serious about buying the machine, but I will not consider it until he can back up his claims with a demonstration."

More or less what I told the dealer. The new blower does have a extra suction port for attaching a hose that the old style didnt have. It also has a door to close off where you feed the straw which is how I assume it creates its suction. I just wont be convinced it will suck bark off a truck and blow thru a hose until I see it. I have never seen a finn bark blower work but it somehow has to suck the bark into the blower before it can blow it out. I just dont see the tail gate mulcher having that much power so it might work somewhat, but I'm left wondering if it would be worth the trouble. If I wasnt already needing a straw blower I wouldnt even consider bark blowing as an option. If it does work as stated, that would definately make the Bowie a more desireable unit verses other models. I guess I need to go back and demand a demo, if nothing else to satisfy my curiosity.

6. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

how did it work?

7. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats an old post. Muddstopper has gotten out of the landscaping business but still checks in once in a while. I don't think he ever bought the Bowie Strawblower. If I recall correctly he bought one from a new manufacturer in Georgia that has since gone out of business.

I really don't think the strawblowers I have seen on the market including Bowie do much other than blow straw.