Box Blade or Tiller?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Green-Pro, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought one of those tractors out of Northern Tool (Nor Trac) earlier this year, got 4wd with a front loader. Now I want to get an attachment for breaking up hard ground and leveling for making plant beds or prepping to seed, just wanted to see if anybody has used both and could give me a comparison, kind of help me figure out which way to go? I have a section of harrow I use now but wish to compliment it with either the 5 foot box blade or 5 foot tiller.

I would get both but want to watch money a bit closer this late in the season, anyway box blade is around $380 tiller would be $900 to $1000.

Thanks for any help guys

-Geoff

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Get the box blade first, if that is what you will be using it for (seed prep). For leveling, it is the way to go.

3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with the rototiller and either buy a used box scraper or build one. Our ground is hard and usually requires some serious tilling before it can be graded.

4. Green-Pro

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I was inclined towards the box blade myself actually, but having never used one wasn't 100% I think it would serve my purpose better right now, thanks Joe.

Scott's... a man's gotta know his limitations & I know mine, I could build it but twood take me dang near forever and look like crap :p Got no problem spending the money to get one right and right away.

thanks guys

-Geoff

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the box blade. They have ripper teeth you can use for breaking up hard ground.

6. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck and best wishes :)

7. Green-Pro

Thanks and good luck to you also

With all the new housing developments still sprouting up wanted to get something to be a bit more aggressive on the harder fill left by contractors. We usually end up bringing in some fill but think the box blade will help level things up and bust up the stubborn soil much more effectively, especially with the adjustable sacrificers. Thanks

-Geoff

8. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

how do you like the tractor, any problems yet?

9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

look for a used harley power box rake - you should find one for around 1200 or so. I would stay away from the rototiller unless you are gardening quite a bit - it is too slow.

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Well that is a long winded version of exactly what I said. Go with the box blade.......