Box Blades

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MJ, Nov 13, 2005.

1. MJ

MJ LawnSite Senior Member

I'm hoping someone will help me out here. I just bought a 41hp tractor and getting used to it. I've never owned one before and really don't know a lot about it. I want to flatten out a lot of about five acres that slopes enough it makes me nervous driving this tractor on the slopes (I've brought one rear wheel off the ground with a bucket of sand and the bucket slightly above the front end of the tractor). My idea is cutting it down using a box blade. The question now is what type do I want? I looked into the different brands and find a wide discrepency in prices. So what's the different characteristics of $450 box blade and a $1100 box blade? I'm assuming you "get what you pay for", but can't figure out what justifies $650 difference.

Thanks.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Lever to retract the teeth and the Name. The better know brands are usually heavier so they dig and scrape better. If your not gonna use it much middle of the rd or even a cheaper one will get the job done.
    Now about that bucket of sand :p always carry bucket as low as possable Have your back wheels loaded with windshield wiper fluid almost as much weight as calcium but won't eat your rims up. and you might need additional ballast on the back. Usually they have the loader capacity set so that the loaded tires will be all you need. You will probably be adding from 600#-800# per tire of weight depending on there size.

BTW -- you won't fall off as the wheels come off the ground, The cheecks will be clenching the seat nice and tight, ya might have to change your pants though LOL

3. if you can set your rear wheels as wide as they will go.

4. MJ

Ok, thanks guys. Yeah, I hadn't wanted to load the tires with Calcium but hadn't thought about anything like wiper fluid. I'd been using a carrier with a 55 gal barrel loaded with wet sand for ballast. Worked pretty well until I forgot to lift the carrier and backed into the bank. Now, I've been thinking about the box blade doubling as ballast.

Yes, I'd learned about "gripping the tractor seat".

If the implement weight is a factor in the cost, why couldn't I put a weight on top of the cheaper box blade if needed. I don't plan to use it commercially, just for my own acreage. It looks like the teeth (scarifiers?) can be adjusted on any of them. Do you just have to raise and lower them individually?

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You can and it will work for your own property. Teeth on the cheaper ones have to be adjusted individually

Wiper fluid what they started using a couple yrs ago cost about the same but its a whole lot easier on tubes and rims.

The drum to much trouble for ballast, load the tires its a 1 time occorence and it leave the 3 point ready for implements

Is the trac. a hydro? if so you might want to stick with a 5' or 5-1/2 blade as the hydro robs a lot of power

6. MJ

Nope, not a hydro. Doesn't even have a cup holder. This is a Mahindra 4110, which comes with things like rear hydraulics rather than the amenities like cup holders. So far, I'm really pleased with it, although I don't have any experience with anything else to compare it.