Box of bad valves. What to do?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lyonsprinklers, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like some of us dodged a bullet.

Seems to me if RB recalled the valves they admit a defect and my be liable for ancillary damages, like the cost of replacing them. When GM recalls a vehicle, the dealer doesn't eat the cost of the fix.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

3. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Maybe they'll give you a few cases of Super 700's.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I could only wish - those have been discontinued as well :(

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I have a whole mess of super 700 nozzles I can sell you at an exorbitant price.

6. Wet_Boots

Nozzles I got - I'm surprised all the Toro rotors, Stream Rotor excepted, that used the standard Toro case, have been discontinued. I'd think they would want to have something available for no-digging head replacements

7. lyonsprinklers

lyonsprinklers LawnSite Member

A bad o-ring on the solenoid that made it almost impossible to screw in all the way. Too big, I think. That tiny gap was acting like "manual on."

No free product or credit, but I did get a nice polo shirt. Didn't make me very happy though.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have time or the inclination to keep going after the rep for additional compensation. My supply house on the other hand, has tried to make it right by sending work my way, and I have picked up a few extra clients because of their referrals.

So the moral for the story is: Roll with the punches. Deal with it and move on. Build a better relationship with the rep, so if it happens again, I might get paid or at least get free stuff out of it.

Thanks for the input.

8. Wet_Boots

Couldn't they just give out new O-rings?

9. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

That would be admitting that there was a problem to begin with.

10. EverflowIrrigation

EverflowIrrigation LawnSite Member

I had what appears to be a bad batch of rain bird valves myself DVF's replaced thirty something valves and counting..... I have gotten a free case of valves from rainbird so far. overall I like rain bird products but am looking into other options due to poor customer service/ willingness to stand behind there product.