Box Truck Benefits

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by barefootlawnsandlandscape, Oct 11, 2007.

1. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have searched the forums for this topic and have found some info. but am looking for a little more.

I have been seriously considering switching over to a box truck set up like the Super Lawn Trucks or similar for my commercial accounts crew. I cannot get away from a trailor with residential because of the debris pick up and collecting of grass.

I have calculated the time wasted each morning hooking up to trailors, collecting hand tools and going to fuel up. It adds up to about $635/month. With our current set up we leave the trailors loaded with large equipment in the shop and park the trucks outside. Every day they have to load something since we empty the beds every night to prevent thievery.

For the guys who have this set up. How much time do you think it saves you each day, how has this helped promote your business, do find yourself still needing a trailor on a regular basis (excluding annual flower change out, mulching, and bed maintenance), and what do your crews think of it. I know that the advertising of a rolling billboard will probably pay for the truck itself, but the convieniences of having everything needed on board including ample gas is what really interest me. I also like the fact that it is much more manuverable in the parking lots. I have some complaints that we are taking up 5 spaces and their clients or customers don't have anywhere to park. I am just looking for some feed back from those who are using it. I have visited the websites and seen all the good info. there but just wanted some real world input.

Thanks,

Todd

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using one since Nov. and it has been great. I had to have the brakes worked on last weekend had to run out of a trailer for a couple of days. I wasn't a very happy camper! I had to go back into "trailer mode"- taking turns wide, watching the sides of the road for potholes (trailer is wider than truck), wondering where I will park to eat, wondering if I'll be able to turn around at the end of this road. Then it started to rain and all the equipment was getting SOAKED :angry:

I have never estimated how much time I save with a box truck. The only thing that I do now is make sure the air tank is filled up and jump in and go. I carry a walk behind at the front of the box and a lazer at the back. The lazer can be filled up at the pump but I have to use a 5 gallon gas can to fill up the walk behind. It is not really a big deal though. I thought that it might be a pain to walk up and down the ramp all day but you don't even notice it.

The only real drawback to these trucks is the gas mileage. You will get about 8-10mpg with the gasser and 12-14 with the diesel. I'm guessing about the diesel because I have the gasser. In the long run though it is not something to loose some sleep over.

I am already looking for an open bed NPR to turn into an irrigation truck.

3. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I've been using a Nissan UD for 4 years and love it! I've had open and enclosed trailers in the past, but nothing beats the box truck. I get 14mpg in my truck, it's a diesel. I do all of the maintenance. Over the past 4 years I've only had to replace the brakes, tires and a couple of belts. Bought this one used with 119k miles on it. I think it has about 170k now.

4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I want a box truck for the simple fact I can put a p!$$ can in it, and I wont be looking for a place to go!! Well, that and I can carry all my tools with me and not be loading/ unloading every night, and drying out tools that got caught in the rain. This is a good thread, hopefully more owners will chime in. I've been thinking about the box truck idea all summer.

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

6. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i'd love one, but we bag a lot

7. GroundEffects125

GroundEffects125 LawnSite Senior Member

im looking for one actually, im looking for a isuzi 16ft box but i just dont wanan pay 35K for a brand new one... if anyone knows where there some used ones please let me know