1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Box truck for mowing

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ryde307, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ryde307

ryde307 LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering for those who have or have used a box truck/van for mowing how much you like it?
    Any negatives / positives? Some input would be nice.
    We have a few trucks and have a 20ft enclosed right now looking to be smaller sell a few trucks and change this around think we are going to a box truck just curious your experiance with them. Thanks

2. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Pros...easy to get around in,especially in tight neighborhoods. Cons...harder to work out of, every time you have to get a tool you have to walk up a steep ramp. And if the ramp is wet very difficult to load/unload gear. And if the truck breaks down you are done, where with a trailer you switch trucks and keep working.Hope this helps.

3. landgator

landgator LawnSite Member

I've been using a box truck for a few months. I think it's great. Bringing the ramp up and down kinda sucks but you get used to it. The one negative is the cab. Mines a single cab, it's kinda cramped if your crew is big. Your gear is out of the weather and it's secured.

4. ryde307

Thanks for the response. The pros are most of reason why we are going that route. Easy to get around and so on. We have an enclosed right now and wouldnt go back to an open set up. Great for staying dry winter storage ect..
    I have back up truck and trailer in case it does break down and never thought to much about the ramp going up and down when wet.
    What is your ramp made out of? Ours will be expanded steel like most and doesnt have a ton of grip but better than wood.

5. ryde307

Do you guys that responded have any pics of your set ups how you run them and so on? And what lengths the boxes are?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

All the lame companies around here run them.

They also leave grass on the curb...which is not accepted around here.

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How do box trucks leave any more clippings than a trailer? That's what a blower is for, just park across the street.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. lyube

lyube LawnSite Fanatic

Box trucks are great. Portable storage sheds plus they are weather proof.

Since when were box trucks in charge of blow duty?

9. ryde307

Well I am going to pick one up on monday and selling our 20ft enclosed. Blade Im sorry the guys by you are hacks but better for you right?
    Anyways anyone have pictures of how they set theres up. I imagine it will be very close to our enclosed mowers straight in blowers in one back corner and trimmers in the other.
    We have a custom fuel tank in our trailer you fill right from the outside don't think it will be passed into the box van but we will see.

10. mpaq

mpaq LawnSite Member

I use a boxtruck with a 43 in liftgate. Working just great for us, except we're limited with the size mower we can load, but our mowers do not exceed 36 in so we're ok with that
    Posted via Mobile Device