Box truck instead of a pick-up and trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by af73bn, Aug 28, 2012.

1. af73bn

af73bn LawnSite Member

I'm thinking I might be better off getting some kind of a single axle bread truck or Cheetos truck with at least 16 feet behind the seat...rather than a pick-up and trailer.
    It should have enough length and width to haul a midmount mower w61" deck, walk-behind, and gear.
    Wonder if the insurance would be cheaper on a box truck, versus insurance on the p-u and trailer?
    I'll have to do something for tie-downs, and for a ramp.
    What do you guy's think?

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have one, DOT inspections and medical cards for anyone who drives it...probably not cheaper than truck and trailer but much nicer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

I tried a 10ft box 9000lb srw bread box van for a year. I liked it so much that I've been using a16ft box step van for over 5yrs now. Duel rear wheels 10,000lb Do not need med cards. I do have pick up and open trailer. Insurence about same as other trucks.

4. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Lol well here in Michigan you don't need annual inspections in ur under CDL (under 26,001 pounds)

Med cards are so easy and cost like 10 bucks! Go in cough a few time and get your cojones jingled and your done!

Also there is a company who makes a detachable dovetail ramp which is really nice if you ever want to take it off but it's also a ton of money! We love our box truck. Use it for our sidewalk crew in the winter too!
    Just leave a few pallets of salt in there

5. cgaengineer

My med card was $100

Better check Michigans DOT on the inspections...If you are over 10k GVWR it's required...I'm pretty sure that's a federal law.

http://co.livingston.mi.us/sheriff/trafficsafety/Comm%20Veh.pdf
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  6. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

Previously I used a Chevy 1500 with a camper top with a 14 foot utility trailer. Last year I went to an Isuzu NPR with an 11 foot bed and a three foot dove tail. I love it I can get in places the truck and trailer never would. I put two eight foot tool boxes on one side of the bed and can still get two 60" mowers on it.

7. cgaengineer

The turning radius in an NPR is not much more than a small car.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Sorry for getting off topic..

I also loved my NPR! The plowing panoramic view was unstoppable.
    My next truck will be a Isuzu or Fuso (4x4) with a flatbed and REMOVABLE dovetail ramp. Im going to make the sides/racks removable so i can have a flatbed plow truck for the winter.. Its going to be a liquid and rock spreader truck with a 8'2 boss v plow. Can see it now...