1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

box truck quedtion

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kingz, Feb 1, 2009.

1. kingz

kingz LawnSite Member

Need help turning a box truck into a lawn truck . I need advice on where to purchase the gate to load and unload mowers. Has anyone done this ? please advise.

2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Take it to a local welder and have them build it to your specs. Usually same or less money than buying production crap and trying to make it fit.

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Go to a trailer dealer and ask them to fab you one up. Bring them some pics or drawings of what you want.

4. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

5. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

That ramp is a perfect example of why not to buy a prefab. Not only does it have a complicated stabilizer that adds to the weight, it also looks under built. A landscape crew would destroy that thing.

If I ever put one on my box truck, It would be a Dovetail setup. I'd have a fixed portion attached to the truck so that the ramp part would be shorter (more sturdy and lighter). Maybe someone else can better explain a dovetail setup or post a picture.

6. Horizon Lawn

Horizon Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a box with a dove tail set up. I works great

7. Horizon Lawn

Horizon Lawn LawnSite Member

there is a pic in my photo album if you want to go and look at it. Its just the back of the truck with the billy goat loader hooked up to it.